Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Then Star Wars perfected it…

I’m not really fond of Tahu Master’s overall appearance. He may be my least favourite of the Masters.

I kinda felt like G2 would end this year as early as the leaks/finalised images of the ‘Winter Wave’ sets were released.

Though some/most of the sets were great and even some of the best in Bionicle (objectively, at least), I never really felt it should had returned. This is especially apparent with its cancellation, looking over G2 as a whole.

6 Likes

That’s always the excuse I see people saying when someone like a part of Bionicle they don’t like.

3 Likes

My issue lies in their lack of articulation and poor poseability. The floppy arms made it impossible to do much of anything with them.

That’s not unpopular.

2 Likes

I hate when people use the term “Blinded by Nostalgia” because it seems less like a reason for a person to still likes something what wasn’t that good to begin with, but more as an easy excuse to say to someone who likes something you don’t like when everything is subjective.

7 Likes

I used to use that term a lot, and from a bit of self reflection, it seems everyone is somewhat blinded by Nostalgia, be it for a TV show, for a toyline, or even a entire decade! Everyone has their own experiences and interests that they hold dear to, and while objective viewpoints are also very much needed in the world, enjoying something for what it means to you should not be shamed.

3 Likes

I don’t hate when people say it in an objective term, but what I do hate it people saying “Oh you like Bionicle G2, well then you are just blinded by nostalgia” as a way to talk down to people who have different opinions.

7 Likes

Indeed, this fandom overused it in that way when G2 came out.

1 Like

So If a 7 yrs old kid of these days likes Tahu Mata, then is he blinded by Nostalgia?

Uhm…no, I never said anything like that. I actually said the exact opposite…

More unpopular opinions.

• I believe the McToran are objectively the worst BIONICLE sets ever released.
  • 2001 was one of the best years BIONICLE ever had, and the Golden Years are hard to top.
  • While 2006 was an excellent year, I feel it’s greatly over-rated by angst-ridden fans of the darker tone and that it should not be the standard BIONICLE is held to.
  • Tuyet should have stayed dead.
  • Greg should not have continued any serials or fan correspondence regarding BIONICLE after the theme ended.
9 Likes

No, nothing is stronger in the hands off the fans. If you mean being carried on and celebrated, sure. But if you mean having control over cannon and set design, than no.

2 Likes

well, here’s the thing:

the fans here care more about bionicle than Lego, and thus, end up putting more effort into stuff like stories and sets/mocs.

I’m not totally sure that’s true. Fans care more about details, but LEGO does care about the theme. They want it to succeed, like all their other themes. The current and original teams did care and that was evident. But the fans wanted certain details, and that not what LEGO put their time into.

7 Likes

If anyone dies, they should stay dead, at least in Bionicle.
(Now, comic books are an entire off topic rant…)

2 Likes

I suppose, but it’s easy to call a set/design bad when it’s original purpose was to be released for free in a Happy Meal.

5 Likes

Nickinamerica/Nickonaquamagna’s Bionicle: Nova Orbis made me love Ahkmou. And Vezon. Before, I didn’t care about either of them, but reading Nick’s take on both characters quickly turned them into favourites.

I like the Dark Flesh colour that brown sets had in the Metru era, and I want more of it.

I really wish that not all of the female Toa had blue in their colour schemes. Make Toa of Lightning yellow and give Psionics a different secondary colour to go with their gold.

Reign of Shadows was the most interesting part of 2009. I barely cared about the story on Bara Magna, but the idea of the Toa, and other factions that had got on Terry’s blacklist, struggling to survive and make some headway in the “Makutaverse” was incredibly gripping.

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by ‘stronger’ but I disagree… Sure, the fans might be more enthusiastic, idealistic and detail oriented about their work than the professional LEGO employees are about the official media but the former often lack the resources, skill, patience and/or foresight to create something on par with the canon material. Sure, you can find some wonderful stuff like Tohkann’s videos based on the visual style of the 2003-2005 movies or Metru Nui Legacy’s posters and stop motion shorts but most of the fan works I’ve seen were either terribly unambitious or really overambitious.

3 Likes

The Winter 2015 wave was in my opinion the best wave of Bionicle we ever got, I love all the sets and I don’t hate any of them.

Summer 2015 was Ok, I think there were some under-rated sets, like Skull Slicer, but there is only one I can truly say is terrible, Skull Scorpio.

Winter 2016 was good, not great. It had a few bad sets, like Pohatu and Ketar, and some ok sets, like Lewa and Kopaka, but there were still great sets, like UTH, Onua, and Tahu

Summer 2016 was ok at best, the beasts were fine, if you pose them right, UTD is good, and Ekimu is great to me.

Also Gali 2015 is my favorite Toa set of all time, she is just Fantastic.

why would you do this to me.

Seriously though I agree that Gali 2015 is a pretty fabulous set.