Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

I agree with the decision to make Vakama the traitor in 05. I certainly see why Greg didn’t like it, but I think it fits better than he suggests.

Also I think the Bohrok are some of the best canister sets in the whole of Bionicle’s run.

4 Likes

The story was pretty basic, but the characters were all pretty good,
the sets look cool but suffer from being mid-2000’s Lego sets, in that they have the structural integrity of a wet tissue,
I’d have to agree with you, though I’m sure plenty of people in the community would still disagree.

4 Likes

I’m back for round… 4, is it? It’s been too long.

1: The only aspect of the Turaga, Toa Mata and Toa Nuva sets that truly frustrated me was that I tried so many times to seperate brainstalk and faceplates, hoping that they could come apart and be recombined. We should’ve been informed from the start, and yes, this is a bigger problem than “posability.”

2: The greebled texture of pieces is a good part of what makes G1 BIONICLE sets so visually interesting, and I love that. Working with those same pieces now, I’m noticing more and more how those little details interfere with the area around their connection points. Looking back, I think LEGO should’ve more heavily weighted MOCcability in its piece design process.

2.5 That said, the Toa Hordika introduced what are probably the most satisfying pieces to work with– the breastplate is great, both parts of the jointed arm make good starting points, the two-toned weapons and unique helmet-y masks are fun, the necks are indispensable, and the main torso is just the right mix of a body shape and wonky technic block to be deceptively versatile.

3 (This is in response to the SW Buildable Figures line:) If LEGO wants to keep constraction going, what they should do is come out with parts packs. For one, we need some new model shapes– and there’s only so much innovation you can have when you’re determined to stick to human proportions. I don’t mind the idea of common CCBS skeletons, but if they’re all the same size and shape, they might as well have the pieces for two figures, with one built at a time, in a box. They’ve pretty much all got the same innards, right? New pieces could come in smaller sets, even bags. One thing we definitely need to see is a new foot design. Feet are textured on one side and flat on the other; that makes them great armor, connecting or covering pieces. More experiments in armor design would be great too, we’d get greater variance in shaping that way. Bottom line here is that LEGO’s gotta starting bold again if it wants to cater to us incoming adult constractionists. If they don’t we’ll either fall away or do it ourselves.

4 Likes

The thing about the SW line is that they prioritize the visual accuracy to the movies beyond anything else, adding new parts either to better fit a character or as an afterthought…I see that you’re coming from a moccist’s point of view, and I agree that lego needs to fully recognize the responsibility that the SW line has on its shoulders, being the only constraction theme going despite how niche the market might be.

######It’s possible…

3 Likes

It is. I’ve seen it and done it myself on several occasions now. It took 14½ years to stumble across that though, and that’s not cool.

2 Likes

I’d like to point out that all of these solutions can potentially damage the pieces (both the brain stalk and the face).

1 Like

Unpopular opinion: Any work I do with pieces runs the risk of wearing them down or breaking them, moreso if they’re fragile. That may inform my decisions, but I can’t let it dictate how I experiment with them. Sure, there are a limited number of BIONICLE pieces in the world now that they’re once again out-of-production. Thing is, between the two of us, though we may see most or all piece designs, we’re never going to see but the merest fraction of a percentage of all the pieces released, much less be able to work with them all. With that in mind, a little breakage, though not desired, is little more than a slight annoyance.

2 Likes

Well said. Well-freakin’-said.

2 Likes

Looking back at the G1 Toa I soon realized, the G1 Toa sucked!

2 Likes

Whoever works at this store has an unpopular opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

Wow. That’s actually kind of cruel.

7 Likes

maybe its symbolic because lego put mixels in the trash this year

6 Likes

I think I know who did this… I should have put his face as the Lego logo be even better.

Edit- Now its better.

7 Likes

It’d be perfect if you added a Bionicle set peaking out from the edge of the bin :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Too soon.

4 Likes
  • There are times when the Lego Community drives me up a wall.
  • I’m not a big fan of their CG TV Shows, to each their own.
  • Never liked Roodaka.
  • It’s completely nostalgia talking, but I would buy a Galidor set.

And those are my unpopular opinions. Pretty sure they’re unpopular, at least.

1 Like

Like, do you mean the fact that they’re CG, or do you mean the actual writing/voice acting/story ect.?

1 Like

It’s more that they’re animated as the actual Lego products, and the animation always feels stiff and unnatural in terms of character movement and expression, to me.

2 Likes

I mean, the LEGO Movies are the only LEGO things that really do that, because the Ninjago and Nexo Knight figures are pretty flexible. But I kind of see what you’re getting at. It’s probably because LEGO wants to sell their toys and they want their advertisements to resemble what you get in the box.

2 Likes