Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

This was to be put on @LegoDavid ‘s topic, so sorry if it doesn’t fit this one.

All of these are legitimate complaints, but many are only from the consumer side, and not from the perspective of LEGO.

In business, there is a balance that needs to occur. Two things impact the price of an item, no matter the quality or size or rarity. Those are how much people will pay for it, and how many people would buy it per price. LEGO is finding this balance, and by increasing the price, they are making more money, because LEGO is still selling like crazy.

Licenses sell. Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Marvel are HUGE, so people will buy them. Without licenses, LEGO would be bankrupt twenty times over by now.

I’d say there’s a lot more to say about this. How does LEGO make money? By selling sets. How does LEGO sells sets? By making them fun and appealing. How? By appealing to old fans, new fans, young fans, old fans. They are interconnected so well, they are hardly comparable. Businesses need money, so if they cared more about fans than money, they’d go bankrupt and be bought out, and there fans wouldn’t like that either. I feel if this was true, we wouldn’t have Ideas, Bionicle wouldn’t have came back, and much more wouldn’t have happened.

Star Wars saved Lego, and is huge. It continues to sell. Yeah, Star Wars gets a lot of attention, but I could make the same argument for Ninjago.

I may be the only one, but I love the duplicate sets. They are great for collectors, fans, and people who didn’t buy the first. Eventually, Star Wars would have run out of material, but with new movies and remakes, it can go on forever.

Yet he’s still more popular in the LEGO community than maybe anyone on TTV That’s a very strict opinion, I actually think he’s a great guy, and I would love to love more of his videos.

I think you’re forgetting a few major things. 1. Box art. 2. LEGO Ideas. 3. LEGO’s entire anniversary earlier this year, which was all about imagination. 4. LEGO Movie, which is getting a sequel.

MOCs are so big right now, YouTubers maybe just aren’t good MOCers or maybe MOCers aren’t popular on YouTube.

In my opinion, the quality is probably better now than it ever has been. Look at LEGO Ninjago Movie sets or Star Wars sets if you don’t believe me.

As I said before, I can understand some of these. I totally wish LEGO would put less money in Star Wars (unless they make another Zam Wessel set) and more into Marvel and Overwatch, and I wish sets were cheaper. But perspective is very important in this argument. I’d say LEGO is doing better than ever. Didn’t it just get named the top company in the world by like, 5 European countries?

5 Likes

Alright, so, a lot of things to respond to here and since you decided to number every single of your complaints apart, I’ll give my own take on each one separately.

First point is just what @Ace said.

A company will always prioritize trying to make profit as it’s main goal, because that’s what keeps it alive (particularly to meet its fan’s demands) and since you can’t always rely on your fans only to sustain yourself (think Bionicle “G2”). It’s always been like this and, to my knowledge, it hasn’t changed since.

A likely good sign that a theme is profitable for the company and is more than likely producing a lot of money for it that is than used to further enhance/create other original or not IPs.

So, clearly a bit of an over exaggeration, but, the reason for frequent re-releases boils down to be the same as it is for constantly having new police stations for the police theme. You got to target new generations of kids with sets that are highly desirable, such as the Millennium Falcon, to make more profit than you would with simply releasing different sets with no repeats. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that this contradicts your point numbered as “2.”, because it shows that Lego cares for (new) fans to release new versions of sets they likely wouldn’t be able to get otherwise.

I feel like you’re forgetting all the current contests Lego has been making and Lego Life itself, or just the Wu Crew page on Ninjago.com that constantly challenges its members to make new creations.

In honesty, I got to admit this is my weak point of discussion in that I have not been following Lego’s current additions to their parts catalog, however, I am really interested to hear your opinions on what new pieces that they introduced you consider useless, assuming they’re all not just minifigure parts.

Similar to what I stated above, I’d like to hear your thoughts on what specific sets have been currently lacking in quality. Nonetheless, although multiple people pointed out inflation in prices for sets, the piece count has too very much so increased with modern Lego sets and ultimately defines these sets to be a lot more durable than the sets we would get in 2007, for example, which says quality to me. As an example that comes first to mind, you should really take a look at the original Imperial Landing Craft set and compare it to the one that came out this year. Furthermore, in agreement to @ToaNoah_Wafflemeister, just take a look at the any of the movie sets that had come out so far.

This is the concluding sentence of this post.

4 Likes

Hmm, let’s revive this topic with some of my LEGO unpopular opinions:

G2 was a great line, but with a poor story

I loved Hero Factory, both the sets and the TV show. At least the TV Show was sure better then Bionicle’s movies. HF is probably my 2nd favourite theme.

The 2001 LEGO Racers Xalax are actually pretty cool.

I am not a fan of the original Castle sets. But the 2007-2008 wave was lovely.

I dislike LEGO Star Wars (and licensed themes in general)

The 2001 Toa Mata are not really that great compared to the later Bionicle sets.

Racers is probably my 3rd favourite LEGO theme.

Chima was great.

Nexo Knights was pretty OK.

I dislike Speed Champions.

Knight’s Kingdom was a amazing theme which is very Underrated nowadays. Those action figures were pretty cool, even though they were not constraction based.

Galidor isn’t that bad.

The Angry Birds line was trash.

Niniago is still as good as it originally was, and keeps improving.

I am worried about LEGO’s feature after OverWatch

The BrickHeadz is overrated. They don’t have any useful parts, just very specific prints, and it’s not worth paying 10$ for them. Also, why, just why do all of them have to be licenced? Can’t we have at least Ninjago blackheadz? They made brickheadz from discontinued licensed themes, why they not do BrickHeadz from classic themes at least?

That’s what I could think of for now. (More unpopular opinions coming soon!)

Whats the point of listing of what license theme are bad when you already said you hate them all? :floppy_disk:

check your homework

We have Star Wars so all hope was already lost. :cry:

Well I haven’t gave an opinion for awhile so;

• Modern City theme is considered the worst to date with repetitive formats of cops & robbers and exploration.

• Vahki > Rahkshi (as a set perspective, mainly from the color)

• I still won’t give up on neither, but I heavily agree that CCBS is more viable than Bionicle molds.

• Ninjago should end within 2-3 years. It run it course long enough to have the team use the budget elsewhere.

4 Likes

Those were based on the LEGO ninjago movie. Other then this, we never got any other brickheadz based on something original by LEGO that isn’t licenced.[quote=“Square, post:468, topic:23000”]
Modern City theme is considered the worst to date with repetitive formats of cops & robbers and exploration.
[/quote]

I 100% agree with this. Finally someone who agrees with me in that point.

I don’t hate them all, for example I really like LEGO Indiana Jones. But other then this and Pirates of the Caribbean maybe, I kinda hate them all.

Yeah, and after Ninjago is’s done… What? The only original LEGO theme that is actually good will die, and licenced themes will completly take over. As much as I would like Ninjago to end to make a new place for new original themes, LEGO will never do another good original theme. I’d rather keep Ninjago then have licenced themes completly take over.

1 Like

ORIGINAL THEME! AND SANTA DOSN"T EVEN HAVE YELLOW FACE! YOU CALL THAT ORIGINAL?

Oh, yeah, so with the Overwatch sets out, I have plenty to go through.

-All sets are fantastic, with much thought, quality, and affordable ideas put into them.

-Reaper’s shotguns did nothing wrong.

-Widowmaker’s rifle is probably the best of the custom guns, as it does more than just be blocky.

-D.Va has it the worst with her blaster.

-I kind of would have enjoyed Nexo mech Reinhardt

-Mercy’s wings look better than Pharah’s, and should have been expected.

-Phone Guy is the best minifigure in the Hanamura set. (Just because I no good with ninja or bowman)

-Bastion is my least favorite of the sets, if only because he’s so out of scale, and Ganymede just feels off.

-Watchpoint: Gibraltar is easily recognizeable and a really neat set.

-I wanted only one Reaper…

-Let’s make a UCS modular Junkertown with smaller components sold separately a thing

2 Likes

And it’s ridiculously overpriced. 30$ for that. And it’s not even interesting compared to the other sets.

Um… Overpriced? He’s twice as big as a Nexo Knights normal mech, which were $25-$30, plus licensing and a light brick, and it’s only $50.

I’d expect him to be more around $70, the price is nearly too good to be true. However, he’s so large that I’d honestly rather just get the Omnic Bastion.

1 Like

Ok… Sorry about that. The I guess it’s a good deal.

But I am still not a fan of the way he is built.

1 Like

I hate some of the today sets
I hate the themes with no story behind (there are exceptions)
I really liked Hero Factory
I dislike clone themes
I dislike that some themes were cancelled
I hate that some themes still exist
I hate the big figs
I really liked the Bionicle movie
I hate the Bionicle combiners made only to manipulate children into buying more and more sets just to make a freaky combiner that looks weird, can’t stay on his legs and that doesn’t even show up in the story, aside of the fact that he has at least 3 colours that are trying to take over the whole model while the parents look at the figure contemplating and asking ‘why did my child wanted so many sets just to build it? Is this what today children find cool?’ and starting to think only bad things about today’s generation of kids like the fact that they are too stupid to realise that the trash they call ‘combination model’ is trash.
I hate the fact that love is not cannon in Bionicle
I desperately want new themes that would actually work like Lego Transformers (wouldn’t that be cool?)
I want to see less Ninjago and more of other themes
I kinda disliked Bionicle in 2006 and 07
I want to see a Lego Cinematic Universe
I liked the Lego Ninjago movie

1 Like

I agree with all three of these, but maybe less strongly.

Now may be a good time to mention I actually like big figs and the five-piece animals…

Why? They can barely move.

I agree. I don’t like the fact that they only keep Ninjago as an original theme instead of having more. But as much as I would trade Ninjago for more themes like it, this will never happen.[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:476, topic:23000”]
I hate the Bionicle combiners made only to manipulate children into buying more and more sets just to make a freaky combiner that looks weird, can’t stay on his legs and that doesn’t even show up in the story, aside of the fact that he has at least 3 colours that are trying to take over the whole model while the parents look at the figure contemplating and asking ‘why did my child wanted so many sets just to build it? Is this what today children find cool?’ and starting to think only bad things about today’s generation of kids like the fact that they are too stupid to realise that the trash they call ‘combination model’ is trash.
[/quote]

I agree with this two. Most of the Bionicle and Hero Factory combo models are just trash. They look like they were assembled by a 3-year old, if you ask me. Some were good, such as The Shadowed One for example, but most of them (at least from Hero Factory) were just trash.[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:476, topic:23000”]
I hate the big figs
[/quote]

I though everyone loved Big Figs. At least I love them, but never got any of them. May I ask, why do you hate them? I don’t see how characters like Hulk or Thanos could be portrayed other then in Big Fig form[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:476, topic:23000”]
I dislike that some themes were cancelled
[/quote]

Is this even a unpopular opinion?[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:476, topic:23000”]
I hate that some themes still exist
[/quote]

Me too.[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:476, topic:23000”]
I dislike clone themes
[/quote]

I am pretty sure nobody is really a fan of them. Bohrok, Rakhshi, Vakhi, Visorak… they are all exactly the same. You get one, you get them all. If I could this is probably something I would change about Bionicle.[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:476, topic:23000”]
I kinda disliked Bionicle in 2006 and 07
[/quote]

Can’t see why. I loved both the Piraka and the Barraki. And the Toa Ignika and Mahri are probably my favourite toa sets.[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:476, topic:23000”]
I really liked Hero Factory
[/quote]

My 2nd favourite LEGO theme. I don’t think it’s really a unpopular opinion.

That was only one. [quote=“LegoDavid, post:479, topic:23000”]
They look like they were assembled by a 3-year old, if you ask me
[/quote]

The HF Breakout combo models were enjoyable. Some were even better than the sets.

No. They are hated.

Because they are useless for something at their scale.

I said clones themes not clone sets. For example: there are basically three themes related about miners, two about aquatic explorers, a lot about space explorers, etc.

1 Like

Every body wants those themes back, and that is why you see “clone themes”.

For Example, Aqua Raiders and Aqua Zone and Atlantis, were just the same theme, but realised within a different generation. It’s the exact same theme, but remade to appeal to the time’s audience. Not like a theme copied another.

Also, everyone wants those themes back, but LEGO just doesn’t do it, unfortunately.

Why don’t reboot it instead of throwing a rip-off?

1 Like

It was rebooted, just with a different name.

That is not really a reboot anymore.

1 Like