What books are you currently reading?

Hopefully this will spark some interesting discussions. Right now, I’m in the middle of The Discarded Image by C.S. Lewis, which explains what medieval Europeans believed about the nature of the universe and their place in it. It’s quite fascinating–though much of it seems insane to modern people, you can see how much of it is surprisingly reasonable if you don’t have the luxury of modern science and philosophy.

Anyway, what’s everyone else reading?

12 Likes

I’m reading the Great Gatsby in school.

It’s pretty interesting, I’m only two chapters in.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to read.

2 Likes

Paradox of paradoxes!

1 Like

I am currently reading a book about the life of Eric Liddell… You know, that guy from Chariots of Fire?

3 Likes

I am reading J.R.R. Tolkien’s translation of Beowulf. Pretty good stuff.

2 Likes

this piece of polish literature
its set in the 1647 cossack uprising in the polish-lithuanian commonwealth and it’s ~1100 pages long
im only on like page 390 when im typing this kek

5 Likes

Ooo, that sounds quite interesting. I might have to pick that up this point.

I’m not currently reading anything myself at that moment unless chemical literature counts. Just haven’t had as much free time in general, and most of it is spent on my computer. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyone have any recommendations?

2 Likes

Im currently reading beyond good and evil

1 Like

I am reading the third Harry Potter book. After it I plan to buy myself the Man in the High Castle.

2 Likes

I bounced off that, but the academic notes seem really interesting, so I do want to go through it at some point. (I cheated and skipped to the end–Sellic Spell and the ballads are good fun.)

I can’t recommend it enough! Especially if you want to read any medieval or Renaissance-era books; it offers much-needed context.

Well, what are your interests?

2 Likes

Well I’ve gone through half of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris, and I just started Paradise Lost by John Milton. I’ve just read the editors notes and short biography of Milton

1 Like

After I finish, I probably continue in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series, unless I want to reread the Reckoners books.

2 Likes

I just finished Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari and am now reading Aldo Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac and other essays. Sapiens was really informative and Sand County is eloquent.

1 Like

John already knows this, but I’m reading Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman Omnibus volume 2.

I read volume 1 a while ago and I really dig the series so far. I tend to mostly read graphic novels these days. Need more word books.

2 Likes

Trying to get through the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I absolutely loved The Hobbit, and I have completed Fellowship of the Ring. Now I am on The Two Towers, and some of it has become a drag, yet I have motivation to keep going, and the boring parts are mixed with good.

6 Likes

I’ve been going through some semi recent additions to my Bionicle Novel collection. I read Beware The Bohrok a couple days ago, and plan to read Makuta’s Revenge sometime soon.

4 Likes

When you are older, you will appreciate these parts more :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m reading Dark Imperium: Plague war whenever I’m not doing uni readings.

3 Likes

I’m trying to read through Star Wars: The New Jedi Order. I’m on Edge of Victory II right now.

1 Like