What books are you currently reading?

I certainly can’t wait to read the next book. The harshness of the world is a lot more apparent than in base Lord of the Rings. It’s very visceral.

1 Like

Huh, interesting. Let me know how the rest of it goes–I’m curious to hear about it and I don’t personally know anyone else who’s read it.

1 Like

I am currently reading a Romanian book for school called “The enigma of Otilia” (Enigma Otiliei). Although I can’t really share it eith you, I have to say that it’s extremely interesting, starting of as a blind love story, slowly turning into a family that puts money and testaments above bloodlines.

2 Likes

Isaac Asimov’s Foundation novel. If you like anything sci-fi or even warhammer 40k, I strongly recommend this. It is the genesis of tons of sci-fi tropes, themes, and most certainly played a big part in inspiring the 40k universe. It’s a really good read.

1 Like

I just read I, Robot, as it happens. Gonna move on to the Foundation trilogy after I finish up some other series.

1 Like

I purchased Foundation and Empire before I even found Prelude, so I need to get my books in order before I start.

2 Likes

Fwiw, a lot of people recommend going in publication order (much like Narnia). Especially because the 2nd prequel (Forward the Foundation) apparently spoils a lot of twists from the original trilogy (much like Star Wars).

1 Like

I actually read them in the canonic way, and wasn’t spoiled in any way.

1 Like

I did too lol. With Narnia, it doesn’t really matter that much. But there are some weird things if you go in chronological order. Magician’s Nephew makes references to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe that won’t make much sense if you haven’t read that book first. And then LWW assumes you don’t know who Aslan is, or anything about Narnia, when you obviously do if you’ve read Magician’s Nephew first. Some people also think they “flow” better thematically if read in publication order–for more info, I recommend the introduction to “Companion to Narnia” by Paul F. Ford. (In fact, I recommend that book in general!)

1 Like

I have to read “Look me in the eye” by John Elder Robison, for my summer reading project.
I think it’s an “okay” book, but probably something that I wouldn’t read more than once if I didn’t have to.

1 Like

Yesterday I finished Otilia’s Enigma and I started another, way shorter, 50-pages book called “The Lucky Mill” (Moara cu noroc). From what I’ve read so far, it is about a Romanian bartender that tries to deal with the local “mafia” in medieval age Moldova/Wallachia(/Transylvania).

1 Like

I finished Plagueis, the Thrawn Trilogy, and the Bane Trilogy in a week. They were all really good would recommend

1 Like

That’s a lot of Star Wars! I read the Thrawn Trilogy back in middle or high school. I also read the first part of the Hand of Thrawn duology but never got around to the second one…I think I may as well start back from the very beginning at this point.

I also really want to read Matthew Stover’s RotS novelization–are you familiar with that one?

2 Likes

I am… Kinda… I read it nearly a decade ago I remember liking it, but not much else

1 Like

I just finished the UNICORNE trilogy, and am waiting impatiently for the last book of Merissa Meyer’s Renegades Trilogy.

1 Like

Right now I am reading yet another Romanian book (I have to read a handfull for the new school year, I’ll return to foreign books later) titled “Ion” (Romanian equivalent for John). It has multiple characters that come and go, each with their stories, but three of them really stand out.
Ion is a thief, a man with no virtues, that left a rich man’s daughter pregnant and lied to her that he loves her only so that he would nary her and get all of the man’s farmable lands and properties (world was different in Austran-Hungarian Transylvania). Eventually, the daughter hangs herself, the baby dies, and now Ion must find a way to keep the lands for himself (because now that the two died, the rich guy can take them all back).
The second one is an old teacher, friend with Ion, that tries to do his job and live his life peacefully. The only problem: he was teaching his students in Romanian, which was really pissing off the Hungarian learning system (which was extremely unfriendly towards minorities).
The third one is the teacher’s son, a young idealistic guy who is going through a nationalist awakening. He broke up with his Hungarian girlfriend, fled to another town, broke up with yet another girl which was in some sort of thing with another Hungarian, and now is trying to flee to Romania, which seems to be considered like a heaven for the minorities of Transylvania.

1 Like

I’m reading “Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold” by Terry Brooks. I just finished “Till WeHave Faces” by C.S. Lewis, and a few books by Brandon Sanderson.

1 Like

This is one of my all-time favorites. How’d you like it?

2 Likes

Ah. that’s a good one.

3 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably the thing that made the book for me was the complete change in Oraul at the end.

1 Like