What disturbs you?

I fit the Wikipedia description of astraphobia to a T. I was amazed when I saw it.

Well, a mobile phone isn’t going to get zapped since it’s not plugged in to anything. Believe me, I understand the anxiety, but personally I’m more worried about using a phone or computer that’s plugged in to charge.

Lightning is cool to watch.

#####Far away.

######In videos.

2 Likes

I have a severe case of acrophobia, nyctophobia, naviphobia, and gephyrophobia.

(Heights, darkness, boats, bridges.)

1 Like

I like to watch them off the window, but TBH I am pretty scared when I’m outside in a thuderstorm

1 Like

Don’t have a problem with storms, but when there is something I get anxious about, I get super paranoid and don’t really tell people bc I always feel like they’re gonna use it against me

2 Likes

Space tends to freak me out a bit. It’s not necessarily terrifying per say, but thinking about it long enough it just hurts your brain.
Like, the size of our universe is incomprehensible. And to this day it’s still expanding. What does the end of the universe look like? What’s past the edge of the universe? Mind-boggling.
The worst though is black holes. Something that is so dense that it creates a hole in that not even light can escape. We really have no idea what happens to anything that gets sucked in or where it goes. Enter a black hole and you apparently get spaghettified until your atoms are torn apart. Not to mention that these things distort space and time; time slows down drastically that to an outsider an object falling in would look it’s standing still until it redshifts into nonexistence. It’s freaky.
And don’t even get started on the supermassive ones.

So yeah. Space is cool, but also really scary when you start dwelling on it.

3 Likes

what freaks me out, is that I have like 10 giant gum trees out the back of my house and they could fall on us at any moment during a storm lol.

1 Like

Nothing.

The idea of nothing and pure nothingness is just…creepy.
I mean, the human mind can’t even comprehend it. We can’t describe what it is. Only what it isn’t. It’s just…ehhhhhh.

2 Likes

Something else that disturbs me is the fact that we have no way of comprehending certain things other than the way that they are.
The calender, numbers, the seasons…

…money…

1 Like

The fact that no one seems to notice _sept_ember, _oct_ober, _nov_ember, and _Dec_ember aren’t the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th month respectively

4 Likes

Thank you, someone who understands!!!

I’ve never realized this before!

But I mean, isn’t October named after some dude named “Octavius,” like how July and August are also named after Roman Caesars?

Nah, October has the same origin as Octagon. The stem Octo(a) means 8, so basically October means (Month 8).

1 Like

Darn, I really wanted an excuse.

Nope, July and August were shoe-horned in by Augustus

2 Likes

And if no one has pointed out yet, Octavius/Octavian is the same dude who became Augustus Caesar.

So right person, wrong month.

I am terribly disturbed with the concept of not existing. Like, people wish they were never born at all in songs and poems and hopefully not in real life, but when you think about that, it’s scary. You’re not only not alive, you don’t even know that you aren’t. You aren’t even “you,” you aren’t even there. It’s not a void of darkness or anything, it’s just… nothing.

Goodness, I’m getting the chills from this.

5 Likes

But it might not even me nothing
Because you don’t exist.

It’s really weird to think about me not existing. It’s like… you can’t feel it, because you don’t exist. So what’s it like to be nonexistent?
I love existential topics like this.
(Did I use existential correctly?)

4 Likes

Being forgotten is terrifying.
I remember it really hitting me while scrolling Twitter and finding a nihilistic s***post from the infamous artist Plague of Gripes;

“No matter how many connections you make in life, who you are will not survive for more than two generations. A forgotten sepia photo in the attic will be all that remains from a lifetime of effort. No one will even remember you had a grave.”

This was paired with a picture of a cute kitten in a blanket.

Darkly comedic tweet, but oof. Nihilism hits hard man.

5 Likes

There was this one nightmare-fueling movie scene that I first saw when I was, like, 5. It was terrifying and disturbing, and I have never gotten over it since then: