What Makes Hero Factory So Lame?

They knew how to make good sets, and after the build was over-used they came up with something new, AND I MEAN NEW!..so we were graced with CCBS…

1 Like

I don’t quite follow…

1 Like

They could not have enginered CCBS without G1 being a thing…

I think you’re getting things a little mixed up.

CCBS was made because the old system had run it’s course, so lego made something completely new, that more resembled system. true.

but CCBS would have been developed the same with or without G1, as it takes a very different approach to constraction. in fact, the systems are so different, that the designers took years to learn how to design good sets using it(and arguably are still learning).

could you possibly make a well thought out and detailed explanation of your hypothesis that G1 bionicle somehow directly influenced the creation and design of CCBS?

5 Likes

Never mind…

The sets were great! I wish I would’ve bought more of them (Considering I only bought Surge 1.0, Queen Beast, and Crystal Beast) as I thought some of the designs worked well. However, The story was bland and lackluster. It was the same 9 characters used (albeit is was in different combinations) facing up against crap villains with no particular motives other than “rawr I’m evil” Sure, there were some unique villains, like Core Hunter or Rotor for instance, but most of them were… ordinary, for lack of a better term. Same goes for the heroes. And, my for last point, I present some dialogue from the Ordeal Of Fire special:

Fire Lord: You still don’t recognize me… Do you, Preston?
Stormer: Afraid not. You say you’re from Talos V, the mining planet?
Fire Lord: One and the same.
Stormer: Stop speaking in riddles, villain.
Fire Lord: We were all simple mining and construction bots. Then, so we wouldn’t have to go back to base and recharge, we were given outlets, directly in our fingers, that can tap into fuel cells anywhere. Problem is, there are no safe cards. The more power we siphon, the stronger we get. Our bodies weren’t built for all this power. We overheat, curcuits are fused, corrupted. WE are corrupted.

The villains know they are evil. They are aware that they’re villains. They are all severely stereotyped, it ridiculous. The villains seemingly don’t have a point of view. They don’t see themselves as the good guys. The worst part of it? Lego made it this way for the kids. In a paraphrased version of what the Youtuber TheMysteriousMrEnter said, “Kids are easier to entertain than adults, but in no ways are stupid” People can guess who the villain is in a certain scenario, like in Star Wars Ep. 4, when Darth Vader first appears, we know he’s a villain. But he never directly states it. This is what separates any well-written character from a stereotypical one or a Mary-Sue. The see themselves as the hero of their story, not what their creator intends them to be. Every character is bland, with nothing necessarily unique other than what they look like, and can easily be set into tropes.
Rocka+Furno= Up-And-Coming Rookie
Stormer= Serious Leader
Breez= “The Chick”
Surge= Quick-speaking jokester
Bulk= Dull-witted tank
Evo= Doesn’t fit into any because of his MPD.
Nex= Techhead
Stringer= Level-headed dude
All of these, except for maybe Stringer, were all apparent in the specials, and I commend my boy Farshtey for making it not seem that way in the books. But would children rather read or watch TV? The specials were the main way of communicating the story to people. And they sucked. The only thing HF has going for it is the sets, and don’t get me wrong, they’re cool (sans Fire Lord) but overall seems just like a generic toy line. Bionicle wasn’t generic. It was unique. HF… not so much. Many of the concepts were good, but the execution failed horribly. It was wasted potential.

That said, my favorite wave was 3.0 :stuck_out_tongue:

woaj, many long

4 Likes

Okay, I do not see how that argument holds any water, the Fire villains DID do what you say. but the flaw with most of them was not that “They knew they were evil” it was that we never saw what they thought.

2 Likes

the fact that heroes are mass produced in a factory and lego shows in their other lines that heroes are not born they are within us all, we just havent awakened our true potential yet. and the fact that all the villains are lame and cheesy and suck.

2 Likes

I will not even…

I am…

…I need to go drink some chill pills.

And that is a issue HOW?

Good point. but does that mean that Optimus prime is not a Hero? he has saved earth COUNTLESS times, and the heroes are no different.

Uh…How? they may be a little bit of the norm at times. but they are still nice, Corroder is fun but still you can tell he is a determined guy, but if I wanted to really burn your argument down…I can point to one thing…

Core hunter

2 Likes

no optimus was built for the purpose of slave labor (at least in G1) and he rebelled and turned against his creators, along with all the other cybertronians

But he was still BUILT, and he was a Hero to his people as well as many others.

1 Like

Hero Factory wasn’t necessarily bad…it just want targeted at older fans as much as BIONICLE was. And HF had a lot to live up to, and fans expected too much from it–which made the transition from BIO to HF even worse.

2 Likes

right but the difference was he was not created to be a hero, he made grew into having a personality and having a conscience, he made his own goals, he was not programmed to do any of this

1 Like

[quote=“Pyrofanatical_Pyrrhon, post:89, topic:371, full:true”]
The sets were great! I wish I would’ve bought more of them (Considering I only bought Surge 1.0, Queen Beast, and Crystal Beast) as I thought some of the designs worked well. However, The story was bland and lackluster. It was the same 9 characters used (albeit is was in different combinations) facing up against crap villains with no particular motives other than “rawr I’m evil” Sure, there were some unique villains, like Core Hunter or Rotor for instance, but most of them were… ordinary, for lack of a better term. Same goes for the heroes. And, my for last point, I present some dialogue from the Ordeal Of Fire special:

Fire Lord: You still don’t recognize me… Do you, Preston?Stormer: Afraid not. You say you’re from Talos V, the mining planet?Fire Lord: One and the same.Stormer: Stop speaking in riddles, villain.Fire Lord: We were all simple mining and construction bots. Then, so we wouldn’t have to go back to base and recharge, we were given outlets, directly in our fingers, that can tap into fuel cells anywhere. Problem is, there are no safe cards. The more power we siphon, the stronger we get. Our bodies weren’t built for all this power. We overheat, curcuits are fused, corrupted. WE are corrupted.

The villains know they are evil. They are aware that they’re villains. They are all severely stereotyped, it ridiculous. The villains seemingly don’t have a point of view. They don’t see themselves as the good guys. The worst part of it? Lego made it this way for the kids. In a paraphrased version of what the Youtuber TheMysteriousMrEnter said, “Kids are easier to entertain than adults, but in no ways are stupid” People can guess who the villain is in a certain scenario, like in Star Wars Ep. 4, when Darth Vader first appears, we know he’s a villain. But he never directly states it. This is what separates any well-written character from a stereotypical one or a Mary-Sue. The see themselves as the hero of their story, not what their creator intends them to be. Every character is bland, with nothing necessarily unique other than what they look like, and can easily be set into tropes.Rocka+Furno= Up-And-Coming RookieStormer= Serious LeaderBreez= "The Chick"Surge= Quick-speaking jokesterBulk= Dull-witted tankEvo= Doesn’t fit into any because of his MPD.Nex= TechheadStringer= Level-headed dudeAll of these, except for maybe Stringer, were all apparent in the specials, and I commend my boy Farshtey for making it not seem that way in the books. But would children rather read or watch TV? The specials were the main way of communicating the story to people. And they sucked. The only thing HF has going for it is the sets, and don’t get me wrong, they’re cool (sans Fire Lord) but overall seems just like a generic toy line. Bionicle wasn’t generic. It was unique. HF… not so much. Many of the concepts were good, but the execution failed horribly. It was wasted potential.

That said, my favorite wave was 3.0

woaj, many long
[/quote]Marie me plz

2 Likes

Good point, but the Heroes may be made TO BE Heroes, but they also have their own ideals and goals. they have minds of their own. and even in the books, Von ness states that he never wanted to be a Hero, he was only built and then told what he would be doing.

core hunter is cool. the rest are all the same: rule makuhero city. i know thats all that there is to rule but come on, have some diversity. at least von nebula had a backstory, everyone else was thrown in there. what i said was a rough outline of my thoughts and i could have gone on forever. all the villains are all like “muahaha you cant beat me im so much more superior” and then 5 minutes later these rookie heroes find out a weak spot and defeat a warlord. also, when did optimus prime even enter the conversation? im talking about lego lines. also the fact that the heroes are mass produced is an issue with me because we got the same heroes OVER and OVER again. furno, then comes furno 2.0 then comes furno 3.0 and then comes brain attack, breakout, and minifigure furno. why cant we have other heroes. a counter-arguement is that we got evo, rocka and nex, but 3 new heroes? THREE? there is a huge factory that produces heroes and we only get 9 as sets? it doesnt make sense! a new team of heroes should have been released each year, and at the end of hero factory’s life they all join together and defeat the big menace (that wouldnt be lame like queen beast and those guys, it could be something like the return of a more powerful von nebula, or, plot twist, mr makuro was a bad guy all along). there could be more villains like von nebula who have a backstory and/or a grudge/reason to fight the heroes. all the villains want are power. the first villains (xplode, meltdown, corroder, etc) were ok because they were coming in as the first villains and were pretty cool how they had all different personalities and disputed amongst eachother (example: xplode and rotor). the villain sets are cool but its the same character handed to us with a different voice and body. and splitface? he was SO LAME! he argues with himself because he has two faces. HOW UNIQUE!. witch doctor had a slight backstory too and an awesome set so he is defenitely a cool villain. FINAL VERDICT: THE LINE IS CALLED HERO FACTORY! GIVE US MORE HEROES!

3 Likes

Nex is Lame
Furno’s Lame
Surge is Super Lame

But the lamest thing about Hero Factory is that it’s villians are so exaggeratedly stupid and the hero’s never die. I say that there is no point to hero factory without villian’s which most of them had no character . Oh and dont forget ~her~.
http://cache.lego.com/r/club/-/media/Club/Markets/Global/Inside%20■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■183614.refpic08.jpg

5 Likes

yeah you are completely right. hero factory was such wasted potential i hope lego learns form this mistake.

1 Like

My gosh, I hate that reporter lady. That has to be one of the worst aspects of Hero Factory.

4 Likes

Hero factory’s pathetic excuse for a story was the main problem. It was basically archetypal heroes vs. one-dimensional villains. That isn’t always a problem, but you have to build on it; you have to draw your characters out to the point that they are no longer one dimensional.

For the villains, it just wasn’t possible given that they only lasted half a year and a couple episodes of screentime(save some cameos). A few of them didn’t even get lines given that they were just shoehorned in as product placement! In fact, I’m glad we didn’t see Core Hunter in the show; it probably would’ve degraded one of HF’s actually decent characters.

For the heroes, they did get screentime, but it wasn’t used to build on the characters all that much. Giving them “quirks” isn’t developing them. Stuff like Bulk studying to become smarter and Stormer becoming proud of the rookies was a step in the right direction, but it was never actually reflected outside of the few moments it was talked about. And even then, it was breaking the premier law of storytelling; “show, don’t tell.” And then they just dumped it all out the window for invasion from below in favor of clone characters. Lego clearly didn’t care about making the heroes relateable or even likeable. They just kinda slapped a “good guy” stamp on the boxes and called it a day.

The other big part of the story I take issue with is the message behind it. If you look at any good story(lego or otherwise), you’ll find that it has some kind of deeper meaning behind it. Lines like Bionicle and Ninjago have been ripe with this, so it’s not that lego isn’t able to or doesn’t have any experience sending a message. No, Hero factory’s messages are just warped, to say the least.

Rise of the rookies: Heroes aren’t created by their experiences; we make 'em in a factory!
Ordeal of fire: Even if you’ve gone mad with abusing substance, you can be reformed(Psyche! We’re just gonna toss you in jail!)
Savage Planet: If your life sucks and you want to get back at the people who made it a mess, they’re bound to shame you again and take away what power you’ve found by your own means. Also something about sibling rivalry.
Breakout: With superior physical traits, you can beat your (debateably more clever)enemies!
Brain attack: Bad guy send bug to attack city. Good guy stop bug.
Invasion from below: Genocide is good!

6 Likes