What Year did You Become a Fan?

Technically my first set was from 2005, but I didn’t truly become a fan until '06

2001, man. Played MNOG when it launched in January. Gave up because I couldn’t figure out how to leave the beach (you couldn’t yet) and forgot about it.

Then I got my first issue of Lego Mania Magazine, which had an ad for Bionicle on the back. I thought it looked dumb and wasn’t REAL LEGOS.

Then the next magazine came with the first comic and I was like “hey this Kopaka dude is pretty cool” and then oops slipped into the pit of unending bionicle all the time 24/7 and now I’m here

7 Likes

Now we live and breathe bonkles :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

My first set was Gold Good Guy in 2006. The next one was Kazi. After him I got a bag of 2001 parts from a flea market. I could make a Pahrak and one and a half Lewas!

1 Like

I got Vorahk in '03. That’s pretty much when I became a Bionicle fan.

2 Likes

Mid to late 2001. My first set was Turaga Vakama, closely followed by Kohrak a few months later. Was into the story from the very beginning, since discovering MNOG shortly before the last update was released. I joined the community when I joined BZP in 2005.

I became a fan in 2013, after I read my older siblings’ Bionicle books.
Though I remember playing with Kualus back in 2007, so I suppose you could count that as my roots.

1 Like

I started in 2008, when my mom got me Kirop as an easter gift. It was only after 2010 that I really got into the story and lore. Before that just made up my own stories with the sets I had and the Bionicle movies.

This is pretty much exactly how I got into Bionicle too!

I’m inclined to believe I got into Bionicle around 2003, somehow I got Gali Mata from a store around then and the 2004 waves followed soon afterwards. I can’t exactly remember the time, but I don’t think I got Gali Mata in 01 only to actually starting getting sets around 2004. : P

1 Like

2003, when I told my mom “mom I want you to buy me this transformer” and she bought takutanuva instead of a transformers, I was like, “THIS ISNT WHAT I ASKED FOR” and here I am now, loving bonkle to death

2 Likes

In 2008 a kid brought a phantoka kopaka to show and tell. In 2009 i got a blue rahkshi and 2 visorak (ice and wind) from a garage sale. Then i bought my first set which was berix in the later part of 2009 and thats what got me into bionicl and basically constraction at that point.

2 Likes

I got my first two sets, Dekar and Piruk, in 2007. I was too young to snap the pieces together, so I wasn’t allowed to get more. I got Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui at some later date, and I loved that movie. At some point, my cousin gave me two books from the 2006 story, which I’m too lazy to grab right now and find the titles. Once Hero Factory was introduced, I became really interested in that and sort of forgot about Bionicle. Around Invasion From Below, I realized how amazing Bionicle was and how boring Hero Factory was (to me), and became a fan.
Basically, I became a fan during 2007, lost interest in 2011, and became a fan again in 2014. I’m kinda new.

2 Likes

I’d argue I got into the whole constraction business in 1999, since I loved bionicle’s predecessors, the Slizers and Roboriders (got all of them too). But for Bionicle itself I was in from 2001, when my first set was Onua. I was initially a collector, but after learning english and getting into early teens, I began researching into the story and got hooked. I began mocing in 2007, which was also the year my collecting hobby was put to a halt by my father, but the community motivated me to keep mocing with my amassed collection and kept me hooked to the fandom.

4 Likes

Same. The first gen1 set I got was Kongu. I got him from a hand me down store. I was just going up an down the aisles, looking for a Bionicle set, and then I found him. Another fun story! I had just gotten a job, and since someone was still selling all the 2001-2003 for 70$,I thought I was the luckiest person ever. I finally got my extra seventy, and I forgot to buy them. The next week, they had the price to $350, and I didn’t get that kind of spending freedom until long after it was sold.

2 Likes

I got my first set, Lewa Nuva, in what must have been 2002. I kept getting a few sets here and there after that, but only really got into the theme in 2007. It kind of got replaced by Hero Factory for me around 2011, and I had to get back into everything a couple years later.

3 Likes

*air visorak don’t even have elemental powers but whatever

2 Likes

Lol whoops i thought classifying the visorak to elements would give the image of which colour i was refering to.

1 Like

Boggarak do have water-related abilities, and Vohtarak have some kind of “fire charge” if I recall correctly… so they’re not totally unrelated to the elements. Plus, you know what he/she meant.

2 Likes

It’s actually called “berserker charge” (BS01:during which their outer shell becomes almost completely invulnerable to harm, and their preferred method of combat is to charge into combat wildly firing multiple spinners). That said, they do have the common resistance to heat ability, so you’re still right to an extent :stuck_out_tongue:

Interestingly, they were also known to be the most loyal Visorak to Sidorak…maybe because he was red like them? :grimacing:

2 Likes