Who was your favourite Roman Emperor?

I was thinking about the history of the Romans from their founding in the 8th century BC, to their fall to the Ottomans in 1453 AD. It struck me how varied and how interesting their history was. From Romulus and Remus, to Constantine XII Palaiologus. I am curious and wondering who was the best, or your favourite Roman/Byzantine Emperors?

1 Like

My favourite Roman Emperror is also considered the best, or at least the second best.
Trajanus.

1 Like

Hmm, Caligula is a fun one.

4 Likes

Old little boots! My favourite, or at least, one of my favourites, is Emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitos, he stabilised and revived the Roman empire under the Macedonian dynasty, after almost 3 centuries of decline since the time of Emperor Heraclius.

1 Like

Justinian, especially when paired with his wife, Theodora. It may have only been for a short time, but they restored the empire almost to its former glory, and they were responsible for great architecture like that of the Hagia Sophia.

And yes, the Byzantines were Romans. Fight me.

3 Likes

I know, one of the worst but Nero always intrested me

1 Like

And I always liked Augustus Caesar.

He doesn’t really count. The Byzantines were as Roman as the HRE.

… you’re joking… Right? The Eastern Roman empire was very much an evolution of the the Roman empire.

1 Like

Before they officially became a Greek Empire

the byzantines really only became a greek empire with the rise of the palaiologos dynasty

also i’m part of the #trajangang

2 Likes

This should become an actual #.

Constantine I suppose for legalizing christianity.

2 Likes

Constantine the Great would have to be my favorite. His movement of the capitol from Rome to Constantinople was a bold amd impressive move. Under him it would have to be Augustus. As far as my least favorites it would have to be Nero and Caligula. They were both a couple of crazies and didnt do anything to add to Rome.

Otto the Great

1 Like

Caracalla–he was killed by one of his own Praetorian Guard whilst taking a bathroom break…

In all seriousness, though, Marcus Aurelius was pretty awesome, both as an emperor and a philosopher. However, I’ve got a great fondness for Augustus; he basically made the Rome we know today. He created the city’s first fire department, police force, and courier system, and also created the Praetorian Guard (who I’m grateful for both because of Caracalla’s story and their incorporation into Star Wars). Overall, Augustus consolidated an empire which–because of his policies–remained peaceful and prosperous for two centuries. That’s pretty great.

2 Likes

None of them.

The Celts will never forgive Caesar. :angry:

2 Likes

You know Augustus was successful when the office he established survived until only 30 Years before Columbus sailed to the Caribbean, and only 2 years before the Wars of the Roses.

2 Likes

Hey.

At least Caesar wasn’t a Brit.

In all seriousness though, Behind Justinian and Theodora would have to be Augustus, just because he basically made Rome into the empire we know it was today.

1 Like

I don’t know much but Caesar is simply iconic and a military chad with a salad named after him.

Also wasn’t he the first emperor to be deified? That’s pretty dope.

2 Likes