Why Do YOU Hate Jar Jar Binks?

I’m not biased at all, noooo.

2 Likes

When I was younger I liked Jar Jar.
I then saw TPM a few years back and saw why he was hated him.
Then recently I read the Jar Jar theory, and it’s pretty convincing IMO, but all I see is wasted potential.
And I’m not going to say anything about the 08’ Clone Wars series and his character in that because I disregarded the series a few years back and find it way too inconsistent with the Prequel trilogy.
Plus, he wasn’t even in the 03’ Clone Wars so yeah, another plus one for me there with the way they handled him in the movies.

Also,
Edited title and added tags “thephantommenace” and “theclonewars” - Booster

2 Likes

Ugh. THAT theory. People need to stop making theories on the internet because everyone will think all of a sudden that it’s true. UGH.

3 Likes

You cannot deny the truth, only EMBRACE IT.

1 Like

You cannot deny fact, only deceive yourself from it.

2 Likes

That’s another way of saying, “People should stop asking questions.”

2 Likes

It’s all fine and dandy to make your own theories to add to your head-canon, but using such to try to explain why a badly written character is really this complex entity is taking it a step too far IMO.

5 Likes

That’s also another way of saying, “Stop believing everything you see on the internet, kids. These theories are nothing more than theories, so stop trying to pass them up as fact.”

3 Likes

That has nothing to do with theorizing. Not to mention that how you talk about theories seems to be a completely negative view towards them.

2 Likes

That’s a generalization. I don’t hate all theories; I just hate the ones that people say are 100% fact when it’s a simple theory.

And most of the time, those types of theories spawn from the internet. If someone tells me a theory is a fact, it drives me bonkers. Theories are meant to bring up a possible answer, not THE answer.

2 Likes

Yes. Sadly, there are people who do that. But stopping theories from being put on the internet won’t solve the problem.

2 Likes

Sure, but it would at least reduce it.

Anyways, let’s stop this right here. It’s getting off topic now.

Another reason I despise Jar Jar is the fact that they could have replaced him with another, better written character. I mean, c’mon. Making Jar Jar have people give up democracy? Should have had a more trusted individual who we’re familiar with, and then have them regret what they did. (I suggested a younger Bail Organa be the one who does this in another topic, but that was just a suggestion.)

2 Likes
  1. In Attack of the Clones, Jar-Jar (and/or whoever could have replaced him) probably thought he(/■■■■■■?) was doing the right thing.
  2. Whoever made that call wouldn’t realize the mistake until it was (unfortunately) too late.

‘You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.’ — Harlan Ellison

I would like to ask those who actively oppose the theory, have you actually read through the original reddit post or watched a video about it, or are you just opposed to it because you hate Jar Jar, the prequels, etc?

I have hated the Jar Jar character ever since I first saw The Phantom Menace, for the reasons most of you have provided. However, with the new light, that is the evidence this theory is based on, I respect the implementation of his character, and I am disappointed that Binks was never revealed as planned by Lucas himself.

The fact of the matter is, this theory isn’t just “Jar Jar was pretending to be stupid to cover up being a Sith Lord,” but is actually based on evidence both in the movies, and from direct quotes of the cast and crew from the movies, including George Lucas.

Honestly, I am appalled whenever someone rejects an idea or theory just because they don’t like it, especially when they don’t even take the time to understand all of the given points of an argument.

If after reviewing the material you still don’t believe, fine, at least you now have an informed opinion. Here is a link to the original reddit post, and a video that presents the main and important points presented early in the posts history.

https://www.reddit.com/comments/3qvj6w

8 Likes

Yes, I have. I still think the theory is pushing it, especially when when the author of this forbes article reached out to Lucas:

I reached out to Jar Jar’s creator, George Lucas, to find out. George sadly didn’t get back to me personally, but his spokesperson did. Sadly, though, the news isn’t good for those who have invested so much of their hearts into the Church of Jar Jar.

In fact, asked if Lumpawaroo’s theory was in line with George’s original vision for Jar Jar’s destiny, the representative said that no, it’s not. In fact, they said that the theory is “categorically untrue”.

So, my friends, that’s that. I am sorry that so many of you have to hear it this way, but according to the official voice of George, Lumpawaroo’s hypothesis – while completely awesome and impressive – is sadly not true.

I admit the theory was convincing a first glance, but people like @Political_Slime and the other Mods have already heard my explanation on parts of it that don’t make sense, but really I don’t have the time to explain everything.

I don’t hate the people who LIKE the theory, I hate the fact that people view it as true (even though it isn’t) and hate the fact that people keep trying to push it in my face and say “Accept it! I don’t care if you don’t like it, this is why it’s the BEST.” No, please. Just let me continue my disliking of a poorly-written character and leave me be.

http://www.forbes.com/■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/3/

Now, end of discussion, please. If you wanna discuss it more to me, PM me and I may respond.

2 Likes

I disliked Jar Jar primarily because he was comedic relief in a movie series that was already essentially bad comedy (The prequels primarily had too much unintentional comedy)

However after seeing the theory i did notice some good aspects about the character. Even if the theory is a bunch of nonsense, what it points out in the movie is not. Whether intentional or not certain aspects of the film can be viewed it different ways.

The idea that the character portrays himself as comedic relief while simultaneously being intellectual enough to be considered for the senate now appeals to me, especially visible during fight scenes where he trips and falls in order to use the only weapon he had available to him, a blaster held by a robot droid.

http://i.imgur.com/KscqcRO.gif

I guess I’m just saying whether you view the character as comedic relief or not their is a certain beauty in seeing his comedic actions lead to the defeat of armies or villains that normally pose a threat to other Jedi. He is the one character who is essentially immune throughout the films given his comedic nature.

You can either view him as a bumbling fool who gets lucky all the time, or you can view him as a trained warrior who is underappreciated by the Gungans until he proves himself in battle.

6 Likes

As I have stated earlier, I like Jar Jar, and honestly, whether or not he is the big bad behind everything doesn’t matter at all to me…

2 Likes

with such horrid highlights as
now this is podracing
watto
i hate sand

4 Likes

Don’t forget about the oh, so “Dramatic”:

4 Likes

Um… funny thing about that.

Jar-Jar Binks is hated my most people because he’s a bumbling fool.

Here’s a BELOVED character who is also a bumbling fool:

1 Like