Why Doesn't Anyone Around Here Buy LEGO Anymore?

Too old to disclose just how far my appreciation for LEGO goes to the world

1 Like

For the record, I’m still primarily buying LEGO sets…if that’s any consolation.

Honestly I don’t know why I’m still here. I haven’t bought a Lego set since 2016.

1. I buy LEGO but I don’t make topics about it as I don’t believe it warrants it’s own topic
  2. Bionicle is dying, it’s rare to find Bionicle fans anymore, some of the few people I’ve met who remember Bionicle are legit 20-30 and they haven’t thought about it in a long time
  3. People grow up, people change and they lose interest in old things, the last good wave of lego bionicle was a full decade ago
  4. G2 barely sold, I see it’s sets still at my local toy and department stores but no one knows what it is
  5. Transformers is always updating Transformers is fresh, it’s story and characters are always being updated, sure the main cast don’t care about transformers much but they don’t talk about Bionicle G1, or G2 and they canned G3

Bionicle is over, we will remember it but the new generation won’t, nor will the next, nor the next, one day Bionicle will just be something old men and women talk about in retirement homes and to their grandchildren

1 Like

…18

2 Likes

Everyone finds value in different things you know and considering this is a bionicle message board it’s odd you’re surprised by this.

7 Likes

I’m gonna massacre you for that, why on earth are you on TTV Message Boards? Like, if you’re uninterested in LEGO and you’re willing to seemingly mock us on it, then you aren’t acting your age

And yes, I know I’m a hypocrite

1 Like

I really think we’re actually talking about the same thing here, because I agree with most of what you said in your reply.

What I don’t agree with is:

I don’t think anyone here is living in any sort of denial, hoping that Bionicle is going to come back. I’m certainly not. Most of us, including myself, do have other interests (or a “new Bionicle” as you put it). For me it’s art and character design. For you it’s Transformers. Everyone has a multitude of different interests.

Where we disagree is that I don’t believe people are buying LEGO in some vain effort to keep themselves into it, as in:

People buy merchandise of things they have an interest in. I’m sure there’s an adult out there who still holds and interest/appreciation for Sesame Street and buys its merchandise. Now, he/she probably doesn’t appreciate it for the same reasons as they did when they were young, but an adult could appreciate Sesame Street for the art of puppetry, the technology behind it, a love of children’s entertainment, or various other things. And if they like it simply because they find it entertaining to watch, that’s their own prerogative.

What I’m getting at is that I don’t think anyone buys something to try and convince themselves they like it. It would be a waste of money to do so. People buy LEGO because they are, in fact, interested in LEGO. They buy Bionicle because they are interested in Bionicle. They buy Transformers because they are interested in Transformers. And at the same time, most of us also pursue our various other interests outside of those things.

Obviously for some of us, our interest in LEGO has dwindled. Mine has quite a bit, especially since Bionicle ended. But if I go out and buy a LEGO set, I do so because I’m interested in buying it. And I personally don’t post about it because I don’t find it that interesting or worth sharing.

I know I’m being nitpicky here, but there isn’t really such thing as a “sub-franchise.” All of those things you’ve just mentioned are indeed a part of the collective Transformers franchise. It’s like asking someone when they say they’re a Marvel fan if they mean the MCU or the comics. It’s all the same brand.

Now, I realize some of those different versions are a lot less popular compared to others. I know the movies aren’t loved very much by the Transformers community outside of a few. But that’s not what I’m talking about, I’m not comparing different versions of the Transformers to each other. What I mean is that, collectively, those various different versions of the Transformers are, nowadays, a lot less popular than when Transformers was just G1, because nowadays kids are into Fortnite or whatever mostly. The Transformers brand as a whole, while still very popular, is no longer at its peak.

But it’s a moot point because I now get what you were trying to say in your first post. It doesn’t matter how modern or popular it is, if it’s one of your interests, then that’s fantastic. Pursue it as much as you like.

2 Likes

Oh, cool! :smiley:

Everybody here on this site is hoping that Bionicle will return, at least to a small degree.

There is in Transformers. Transformers is rebooted at least, at the very least one every five-six years. There are a hell lot of universes, which we differentiate. This is why we have such things like G1 fans, or movie fans, or Prime fans. Those are fans that prefer to stay in their bubble of Transformers without really getting out of it.

All are different universes.

Yes, true, but even there there is a difference. I am a MCU fan, and I can hardly look into the comics bubble.

1 Like

I know this is getting off topic, but I just have to clarify my point. :laughing:

I know they’re different universes, in the canon of Transformers. But that doesn’t mean, in the real world, that they aren’t branded as Transformers or aren’t considered a part of the Transformers franchise.

If you’re a fan of the Bayverse, you can consider yourself a Transformers fan. If you like G1 and nothing else, you can also consider yourself a Transformers fan. All I’m really referring to is the real life brand of merchandise called Transformers, which is on the packaging of all of the products associated with these different versions.

Just to clarify what I mean once again, you can still consider yourself a Marvel fan, because the comics and the movies are collectively owned and distributed under the Marvel brand. Yes, there is a difference, but you’re still a fan of the Marvel brand of movies, ergo a Marvel fan.

There’s the two bubbles, the MCU and the comics, but they are both enclosed in the bigger bubble that is just “Marvel.” The two smaller bubbles, like Transformers, can have different levels of popularity, but the larger bubble also does too, and that’s the popularity of the whole brand of merchandise.

I am completely getting this. However, combining all the current sub-brands, the result would be similar to the one of G1.

OK, we should really stop this. It’s getting too off-topic. We can continue on a PM or something, but not here.

1 Like

You’re on a Bionicle message Board with a Bionicle username, so I’m not sure you’re the guy to come talking down to everyone here… you don’t know why you’re here? You must get something of value, right? If not, then leave.

1 Like

This is even an issue?

1. Not everyone posts everything they buy.
  2. Just becuase thus is a lego site doesn’t mean we aren’t allowed to buy non lego stuff; the topic is called “look what I just got” not “look what lego I just got.”
  3. As others have stated most of us are here for Bionicle and as lego keeps getting rid of their action figure lines we have to find other lines like, say, transformers.
5 Likes

Honestly? I’m still here out of loyalty to @IllustriousVar, @Mesonak, @Eljay, @TakumaNuva, and @Ven. Their presences on what was once my favorite podcast shaped my early teen years. I did everything from mowing and weedeating, mopping floors, MOCing, and falling asleep to the TTV Podcast. And maybe I’m still here because this is the last piece of my childhood that I haven’t thrown out in favor of studying for tests. If I let this go, I’m not sure what I’ll become.
I brought this up because I’m worried about you guys. Everyone should choose to live the life they want; however, buying more and more plastic figurines to stick on a shelf just doesn’t seem like a meaningful existence to me. I tried that and felt nothing but emptiness.

2 Likes

Honestly this seems more worrying to me than people buying “plastic toys”. People aren’t buying Lego just for the sake of filling that gosh darned empty shelf space, they buy it to build, to collect, to play with, to enjoy. This is a hobby, as we grow older it can still be a hobby and there is nothing wrong with that, as you’ve rightly guessed, for insulting a hobby you at one point must have been involved with will bring about some backlash.

Following a podcast of your favourite creators is fine, being on the message boards is fine, but if you aren’t going to engage with the content, if you’re gonna stay on these boards and not enjoy lego, it seems foolish.

This is predominantly a Bionicle and a Lego fan site, if the only reason you’re on here is out of loyalty for the creators, just watch the podcast. Or engage with the boards about your hobbies outside of the Lego tabs.

4 Likes

True. A lot of people still buy but don’t post becuase they just want the parts. I’m not planning to post every bricklink order I place when I fund my online creations irl.

2 Likes

I think the main reason is that the majority of the people, at least here on ttv, are still young, most not even out of college.
They might be going into their dark ages, or too busy, or have other needs.
Another factor is all of the other new media… gundam, warhammer, transformers…
Just to name a few. So people are trying new things, seeing what fits and doesn’t.

Another factor might be that lego is doing things that people dont like. More licensed themes, less original and themes with longevity.

But hey.
Just my opinions.

1 Like

TRUE!!!
2019 was the first year ever since 1999 when there was no constraction line.
But I don’t care. They lost me as their costumer, and now I am only getting old sets. Now I am getting into lots of Past System Lines such as Dino Attack, Mars Mission, Space etc.

If they want to keep their fans we NEED another Action Figure line. Just give me anything (as long as it’s resonabily priced) and I will buy it in loads.

I am probably the only person who doesn’t like that, but whatever.

2 Likes

Plus, that was one example.
Your case is a other good example of people’s distaste with Lego

See the problem with action figure lines is Bionicle. Bionicle was phased out and Hero Factory came about due to Lego’s uncertainty in the constraction line. Bionicle was then cancelled again. This is telling that constraction has been being phased out, which is a shame as there have been some fantastic designs from Starwars and G2.

It’s unlikely they’ll do constraction, but they’re a bunch of lines upcoming and current that I’m excited for.

I feel like this is getting way off topic however.

1 Like