Why I prefer HF over BIONICLE. (RaptorTalon edition)

I really love the way you phrased this sentence (hell, the whole post, really) , it really shows that your love for Hero Factory is completely genuine.

4 Likes

That is fine, many people hate HF for whatever reason, and I am just glad that we can understand each other and where we are coming from.

Why thank you! I sure hope it sounded real, considering it very much is. (Also at that point I was getting pretty emotional while writing this)

3 Likes

I liked this story. Personally, I have a sort of complicated relationship with HF: I’m also involved with bionicle, and love it deeply, but HF has a special place in my heart. CCBS is by far my faorite Lego system to work with, and I love the background (meagre as it is) of HF. I didn’t mind too much when HF ended, simply because I was too excited for G2. Now that G2 has left us, I mourn the loss of bionicle G1, G2, and HF almost equally, and I love them all.
Seriously though, nice job.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

My dad used to react similarly to my hobbies too, mostly because I usually don’t get out of the house too often, and I’d be lying if I didn’t say it didn’t often suck as well. If I recall correctly, I finally became fed up with his attitude one day, and asked him if he would rather see me going out and spending all of my money on… “candy.” As someone who used to have his own problem with “candy” long before he met my mom and I was even born, well… let’s just say that he didn’t have much room to complain after that.
Long story short, from my experience, people often take things for granted, and sometimes need a reality check in order to remind them that things can always be worse, even if it does sometimes come off as a rather unpleasant conversation. If your dad still happens to act this way around you, then my advice would be to simply use the example above to kindly let him know that he should probably think about re-evaluating his position on the subject. He may not be initially too thrilled about it, and it may take a few tries for it to finally sink in, but you should eventually see the benefits in the long-run.

1 Like

I personally never found the transition from Bionicle to Hero Factory that bothersome when I was little.

These days, I prefer the environment of Hero Factory but the story of Bionicle. As a concept HF had better (or more appealing to me) premise but Bionicle used its concept immeasurably better and I was a long-term fan of it way before Hero Factory was a thing… In a sense, I’m and was a HF fan when Bionicle ended… nobody said you can’t like both. Bionicle just happened to play bigger role in my life.
I honestly don’t know when was the last time I saw anything HF related up until today.

Thanks for offering us the insight on your situation @RaptorTalon , I think our accepting community will keep making you feel good… even through HF isn’t exactly the focus of TTV.

One more thing: I also disapproves of the morals HF had. The “we build heroes.” Slogan was terribad… I wish there was more development pushed into the heroes. They could have went the route of “It doesn’t matter who you are but what you do.” Instead of the former.

PS: This topic actually gave me a few ideas for future stories/roleplays

1 Like

This was interesting to read. I myself really liked HF, and it’s nice to read about your passion for the line. I winced when you mentioned your Dad’s disregard for it all - I know the feeling there. Keep at it!

1 Like

Thanks all!

1 Like

I’m all bionicle because I’m much more of a story person. The story was deep and went to places that many other kid franchises never dared to go. Such as matoro’s sacrifice, and some other dark things that made it so unique. I also loved that each new year brought new heroes and toa into play, rather than the old team over and over again. It expanded the universe so much, like redwall, as it jumped to different areas and times during each year. But in HF the sets and weapons were cool, but the storyline was overall just the same; aliens come and threaten, heroes get more cool weapons and armour and get a whole makeover, defeat them, miraculously pulling a clutch while telling bad jokes the whole while. They didn’t have someone in HF like kopaka, cold, calculating yet still good. It was overall extremely generic.

And ya know what? that is totally fine, you can like BIONICLE and I can like HF, these are only opinions. and yes, I will admit that HF was…lacking, to say the least, but I love it because of what it did for ME, not because the quality was fantastic, or because it had some deep story. I will always love and adore HF because it came at the right place and the right time, easily being one of the biggest factors into me becoming the person I am today, and the person I am yet to become. You can’t gauge a product based on personal impact and what it means to people, but because of what I brought to HF, and what it brought to me…I will always be grateful.

Thank you for your comment.

1 Like

I kinda missed bionicle since I started lego in 2010(i had to buy ehlek on ebay to make up for it). I loved HF and I remember seeing the 2011 wave in the argos catalogue and buying the biggest most expensive one. I feel “Invasion from below” ruined it a bit.
It’s nice to see that someone still remembers HF.

1 Like

Some of you like to think back to when canisters washed ashore on a golden beach

Yeah I was totally thinking about a golden beach staring at a computer monitor for an hour straight waiting for MNOG cutscenes to load on an early 2000s dial up connection. I was really thinking about a golden beach when I couldn’t build anything good with my Toa Mata pieces. Couldn’t even get my Onua’s legs to bend. And I had to wait a whole second month for the next comic?

Anyway, my friends and I all bought into this junk, and it was fun for a short time. But it faded quickly and we all grew up and got rid of our bionicles (except me of course, cause I figured it would make good compost). Then HF happened I guess. I don’t know the storyline, I was in high school at this point and had pretty girls to flirt with. Then I realized my old bionicles made terrible compost after trying to bury them in my back yard, so I made lots of cool mocs by Frankensteining them together. It was mildly entertaining and I still do it from time to time.

Flash forward to the past year, and I bought a whole lotta of HF men off craigslist. Turns out they have balljoints just like the bionicles! So that’s when it hit me, these guys are just as good as the bionicles, and I realized that they’re the exact same thing!

So yeah, then I came to the boards and discovered all of the people trying to debate nonstop over which is better HF or bionicle and I don’t understand. But I guess some people like HF more because it’s what they grew up with, and that’s fine. Heck it’s probably true since dial up wasn’t as common in 2010 as it was in 2001. But in the end they all make terrible compost.

4 Likes

After all I think that it comes down to which line you have the best memories and experiences with.

5 Likes

Your opinion is invalid due to reasons.

Not really, just wish HF had more story.

You and me both buddy…

Might have to bust out the good ol’ Google docs and see if I can do better.

1 Like

Well, you should, that story needed an emd, I wanted a Villain factory and the return of Von Nebula. So many broken promises thanks to poor sales.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go so far to say that neither can be objectively viewed in a more positive light, as some people have done(don’t worry, raptortalon, that wasn’t directed at you). I can appreciate the original post for what it is; RT prefers HF over Bionicle for sentimental reasons. My great love for Bionicle comes in part for nostalgia; I do well up at the image of six canisters washing ashore on a golden beach, and from that nostalgia, I can understand yours. This has been a thoughtful and compassionate thread this far, and I can also appreciate that. However, let’s keep a lid on things. We can objectively compare the two as franchises, and are not strictly stuck to trading nostalgic stories and good memories (as some people may claim— It’s Great to do these things, but we aren’t limited to them!). With that said, I’m pleased indeed that you were able to capitalize on Hero Factory as much as I was upon its predecessor. Cheers.

1 Like

Of course. Both lines have their faults, and I’m not going to pretend to be ignorant of them. Thank you for your comment.

I think Hero Factory never reached it’s full potential. As the line grew on, the writers became lazier and lazier, and instead of making the story for the purpose of worldbuilding, they made it for the purpose of advertising. Also, the jokes were horrid.

2 Likes

I agree 100%

I wasn’t really arguing that HF was good, moreso why I enjoyed it regardless.

2 Likes