Your Least Favorite/Most Disappointing Sets from 2016

Not really, no.

Yup. The same sword piece with something sticking out the other end.

Are they different types of weapons? Yeah, sure, but the potrayal of the weapon makes it look the same as every other weapon. The only difference is the length of the thing sticking out the other end.

Here’s the thing about opinions.
If you can make a sound argument with it, I can respect it. If not, then yeah, I’ll question your own thoughts. Your argument was that 2015’s weapons were more repetitive than 2016’s, even if only a few Toa rehashed the same piece and used it differently. That’s not exactly a strong point IMO, so yes, I questioned your opinion.

1 Like

Owning all of them

I can confirm everything you’re saying

2 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more. Sure, the Uniters aren’t perfect by any stretch of imagination but I still not only like them a whole lot better than the Masters but I also believe that they’re a genuine improvement over the previous year’s Toa.

Here are my biggest gripes with the Masters:

• The unused ball joints still baffle me. They’re so distracting and make the models look unfinished no mather how you slice it.
  • The way the gearbox is connected to the back of the figures ruins their profile. And yeah, yeah, I know that proportions of G1 sets were quite wonky but that was always one thing they got right - the shoulders always lined up with the hips just fine, with the possible exception of the Rahaga (but they were never much-loved sets to begin with).
  • The masks are, for the most part, pretty ugly, except for the Akaku (‘The Mask of Ice’, ehhh…) and Kakama.
  • I prefer the greebly aesthetics of the G1 sets and the Uniters.
  • If it wasn’t for the gearbox, they wouldn’t really be that much different from a typical CCBS set design-wise.
2 Likes

that all you have to say? Just “no”? The fact that the weapons use the same blade piece does not show that they’re not unique. Are the stud shooters from the protectors not unique because they use the same piece as a base? No, they’re used in creative ways between each set.

But you’re ignoring how they’re fundamentally different.

That’s a fair point, I just disagree.

What you don’t realize is that is what I did. The only reason i added that in was because you responded in a very condescending manner. And yes, 2015 did not have very original weapons. Like I said, Gali and Lewa both had axes. They turned into other weapons? So did 2016 Tahu’s blades. Onua had a hammer? Wow, sure does pale in comparison to 2016 Onua’s gun-drill hammer.

yup[quote=“Arsenic, post:24, topic:31732”]
But you’re ignoring how they’re fundamentally different.
[/quote]

Again, as stated before, they are different kinds of weapons in theory, but just end up being the same weapon with a thing sticking out the end.

No you didn’t. All you said was that Lewa and Gali both used the same ax piece.

Sorry to tell you this, but this is the internet. Human decency doesn’t exist. :wink:

No, they’re not axes. Gali has a trident. Lewa has axes. The only thing that makes the two similar is the piece. They are [quote=“Arsenic, post:24, topic:31732”]
fundamentally
[/quote]

different weapons.

Let’s think about this.
Gali’s trident’s end became two flippers, leaving a slightly smaller weapon that still looks pretty good.

Lewa got a pair of wings to match his previous position as the Toa of Air and two swords that originally acted as the butt of his ax.

Tahu’s weapon turned into a slightly longer sword.

I don’t exactly see how this comparison works.

Yeah, Onua had a better weapon. That’s why I didn’t include him in my point about the weapons.

2 Likes

I’ll agree that is a problem. I personally don’t mind it, but I’m in the minority there.

Again, a valid point. However, it’s important to note that the Uniters don’t nail proportions very well either.

And 2016’s middle-aged hair doesn’t bother you? Personally, I have no issues with any of the Masters masks minus Lewa’s. The gimmick of the graying crystals on the Uniters masks looks incredibly silly on every set barring Lewa.

I’ve found that this is a very polarizing topic, but personally I agree with Plural in that 2016’s greebles are excessive. I never really noticed or cared about G1’s greebles, and the fact that I notice them here gives me indication that it is out of place.

…and standard CCBS sets are bad because…?

Unique =/= Good

3 Likes

You’re right, they don’t. However, it doesn’t change the fact that I was addressing one specific issue, not the proportions in general (I just briefly mentioned them to debunk a possible counterargument because if I didn’t say it I’d genuinely expect a reply saying something along the lines of ‘Bionicle always had issues when it comes to proportions’ or something similar).

It does, but only a little bit. It’s still a rather minor issue for me compared to the overall unappealing design of the Masters’ masks.

[quote=“Political_Slime, post:26, topic:31732”]
…and standard CCBS sets are bad because…?[/quote]
…They get old after a while. Sure, there are some standard sets I like (Gelu <3) but the problem here is that the Masters are clichéd on top of having the aforementioned design flaws.

[quote=“Political_Slime, post:26, topic:31732”]
Unique =/= Good[/quote]
Sure, unique doesn’t always make good (I’m looking at you, Hordika!) but creativity is certainly one of the aspects I’m looking for in a Lego set.

[/quote]

That is no excuse at all. If you use "human decency doesn’t exist’ as an excuse to be rude to others, then I find that abhorrent.

looks like an axe to me

Because you choose not to. 2015’s weapons are not groundbreaking, in any way. Most of them are ugly, with pins sticking out in order to do some transformation. Or, in lewa’s case, pins sticking out of the figure - which is much worse.

If you’d like to believe so. I see it differently.

What I said was how I disagreed with your opinion, and you decided to be snarky and rude in response.

In any case, arguing is pointless. I clearly won’t change any of your opinions.

1 Like

Not even owning this set, I completely agree with you. It’s horrid for a battle pack.

but stud shooters aren’t too bad…

Also, note how Onua was the only weapon to not have the swords forces upon him as weapons…

And Onua ended up being one of the best uniters imo

I think if they hadn’t made the sword piece 2016 would be much better[quote=“Arsenic, post:28, topic:31732”]
looks like an axe to me
[/quote]

Well, even when they both have axes, they’re still very different types.[quote=“Arsenic, post:28, topic:31732”]
Because you choose not to. 2015’s weapons are not groundbreaking, in any way. Most of them are ugly, with pins sticking out in order to do some transformation. Or, in lewa’s case, pins sticking out of the figure - which is much worse
[/quote]

Ugly? Not really. The pins are a very minor detail, and the pros of combination far out weigh the cons of pins.[quote=“Lewa_Nuva, post:23, topic:31732”]
The masks are, for the most part, pretty ugly, except for the Akaku (‘The Mask of Ice’, ehhh…) and Kakama.
[/quote]

Imo the masks were pretty great, similar to G1 while still being differwnt and better.

Not that I really dislike the masters or uniters.

1 Like

k i’ll just say it again
But this is the internet. Human decency doesn’t exist.

Okay we’re technically both wrong here
I turns out that Gali wields a trident/harpoon, as said by BS01. Also, let’s face it dude. That is not an ax. At all. She’s a water-based character with a weapon that’s tipped at the end. What do you honestly think her weapon is?

No, it’s because it’s not a good comparison. 2015’s weapons actually transformed into something, unlike Tahu’s that just folds out into a longer sword.

So you’re saying that the pins and axles that you can just take off the weapons and add onto the Toa when you want the secondary form is an issue? k.

Except that it’s concealed more than well since it’s on the back of his forearm which is already covered up by a shell. If anything, it adds to the figure since it hides the original bone.

Way to kill a point buy just saying “i hav difrint opinin”
:thumbsup:

No, you decided to make a horrible argument so I decided to not take it seriously.

Again, trying to kill an argument because you can’t make a decent point.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Hey guys, take it down a notch. You’re both getting too heated about this.

7 Likes

That’s like saying the Toa Mata were made up of sticks

1 Like

…No it isn’t, like at all.
The Toa Mata all had distinct weapons with unique molds, which made all of them feel extremely different. The Uniters (besides Onua) used the same weapon piece with minor changes that don’t make them feel all that different. I would say the latter is most comparable to that of the Inika who all shared what was essentially the same with weapon with very little to no changes.

6 Likes

I’m gonna add a couple notable mentions for system, then CCBS–

1. Lego Star Wars Escape on Hoth-Beating a dead horse here, but this set is AWFUL. If scene sets are the direction lego wants to go with for Collector’s sets, they need to highlight flashy exclusive figures, complex builds and cohesive themes.
  2. Lego Dimensions Packs-Way too expensive for their value, these packs are frustrating in that many of the figures and themes included would be exceptional parts of individual sets or themes. IP brands like Harry Potter, Adventure Time and Lord of the Rings, (and smaller Doctor Who sets) would sell incredibly well, there’s no reason why small packs with no parts were released at such high prices this year.

CCBS Time-

1. Gali Uniter of Water-Horribly built, with an awful weapon and no flexibility. Her mask looks really bad with the molded silver, and doesn’t allow light to pipe through the eyestalk, leaving a really dull, dark look in the face. Most fans choose to mod her which detracts more from her initial value.
  2. Ketar–Dead horse and by far the worst lego build of 2016.
  3. Surprise! There’s a non Bionicle CCBS figure I think was awful: The humanoid Rey and Fin figures from the Star Wars Buildable figures! There needs to be a modular connection for different faces and hairpieces similar to figma and other high end display figures if lego keeps wanting to push for human CCBS figures. It’d be easy to do and wouldn’t add much to the price point of sets…but it’d make such figures look a LOT better.
1 Like

#M E M E S

Yeah, no, not at all, you’re objectively wrong and your opinions are trash.

2 Likes

What I meant was you said their weapons were sticks with blades on them, the Toa Mata used those sticks in their build a lot. So yeah, they were made up of sticks.

Again, no. Not at all.
If we’re talking about weapons, none of the Mata had a weapon that was similar to another set:

Tahu

Onua

Gali

Lewa

Pohatu

Kopaka

The Uniters, as stated before, were all EXTREMELY similar in shape (except Onua). It was the same blade with something coming out of the other end, be it a blade piece or a bit of technic. Sure, they were in concept different, but they all ended up feeling the same.

1 Like

I said they were made up of sticks, not their weapons. Gosh man, read closer will ya?

Yeah, about that. How about you learn what the original conversation is about instead of making a more than unnecessary straw man of an argument that doesn’t even make sense in the first place will ya?

8 Likes

Yeesh, somebody just got upset. I know what the original conversation is about. Then I branched off on it because technic pins made up the weapons and the Toa Mata. Now I suggest you go calm down before something bad happens.