YOUR preferences: G1/G2 continuation, or G3?

I posted this question in the Ask Greg category earlier. Before he answered, I heard a few other opinions, which had to be deleted as the question was for Greg. But I still want to hear what you guys have to say!

So: Even if it’s far-fetched, would you rather continue the (kind of unfinished) story of G1 or just start from scratch with G3? Why would that be your choice?

Personally, G1 all the way, but Greg’s answer (a G1 continuation essentially being a G3) makes a lot of sense too.

EDIT: I’ll accept a G2 continuation as an answer too. Or anything, really.

4 Likes

Well, call me weird, but I just want a well done G2

6 Likes

Both, since a G3 would be great but a continued G1 would be too

Honestly, and I know I’m avoiding the answer a little here, I’d prefer a G2 continuation. I think the story had some real potential and even just seeing the last year lego had planned would be awesome.

same actually man

just retcon the ending of JtO and go from there

1 Like

I get what you’re tyring to say, but the fact that it is “far-fetched” really answers the question from the start.

Folks, that ain’t the question.

Nah, I totally agree lol.

And yeah, a timeline that wiped everything would be great; no G1 or G2, and a little more relaxed when it comes to referencing the past generation(s)/ That said, I don’t think that I’d be thrilled to see Bionicle come back anytime real soon.

Definitely a g1 continuation, in an ideal world. So many concepts to work with!

1 Like

I’d go for neither of those, but rather a spiritual successor. A fresh start with something that carries the same spirit, but establishes a brand new world. Gotta make sure we still get masks and colors though.

2 Likes

G4, an alternative universe to g1, where the toa metru failed to defeat makuta and the resistance hides in the shadows ironically enough

Bet that you’d like Project AFTERMAN then; it’s supposed to be a spiritual successor to G1 of sorts. :stuck_out_tongue:

The biggest issue with one of those is the concept that TLG would even want to use the name “BIONICLE” for it, as it would otherwise confuse a lot of casual consumers who expect a certain thing - and isn’t that the point?

Not after G2…

1 Like

Yeah, that’s entirely true.

I guess I forgot to add a G2 option, because I was never that into it, but consider it added.

1 Like

Exactly. Seems like skipping the name would be a wise choice. TLG has plenty of cash on hand.

1 Like

I think having a g3 would be cool but I’d like to finish g1 first

1 Like

You know, I’d be up for a G1 continuation even without sets. More comics, story serials, etc. But that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

Unrealistic preference: a G1 continuation written by me…

jk…or am I?

Realistic preferences:

1. G2 continuation/reboot, because it had enough potential to last.

2. G3, because a fresh start is always good, though it loses points because of the third-time-around factor.

3. G1 continuation, because there are so many plot lines and too much of a gap for it to be relevant. This one can only be done by the fans.

2 Likes

I’m the odd duck, here, I suppose. I don’t want a continuation of G1, but I would like some serials in the G1 universe. I want just… More worldbuilding. Especially for 2004.

I think BIONICLE’s story for G1 is over, but it deserves some more content, if that makes any sense.

G2 I wasn’t a fan of.

G3… should be it’s own thing, and I like what TTV has so far.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that that be a continuation

1 Like

Maybe it would be better if we redid journey to one. The ending was way too rushed.

1 Like

Don’t care what happens with what generation as long as the following are present. In no particular order:

1. Have mysteries to solve. Doesn’t have to be a GSR-sized secret (not like that could ever be topped anyway), but give us something concrete to latch on to and speculate on. Theorization is an easy way to bring communities together as people try to figure things out together.
  2. Worldbuilding. Environments should have some serious effort put into them. Mata Nui and Metru Nui were both well thought out and brimming with life and places to explore. That includes fleshing out villages, the way of life of each Matoran tribe, and coming up with Rahi to fill the ecosystems.
  3. Ideally it would retain an air of mysticism in addition to the regular science fantasy elements. There’s no need to aggressively overexplain everything. Sometimes leaving things to the imagination is better than spelling everything out. Same thing with visual storytelling versus having a narrator explain everything.
  4. Have Matoran characters for the Toa to protect and feature them in stories regularly. Since they aren’t saving the day constantly there’s a relatability factor to them that the big canister sets can’t match. They should all be recognizable in a crowd with their distinct personalities and identities.
  5. Don’t dumb things down. Kids love immersing themselves in detailed worlds and languages and they’re fully capable of memorizing character, mask, power and location names. Don’t have the narrators pronounce words as if they’re speaking to a preschool audience and constantly shout extremely generic lines about defeating evil. Kids can also tell when they’re being talked down to. MNOG appeals to all ages because it respects the player’s intelligence and gives the subject matter the gravitas it deserves.
  6. Put some thought into the maguffins. What the heck does the Mask of Creation even do? The Mask of Control? The Golden Masks? Why should we care about these things when you don’t adequately explain them?
  7. Maybe have a marketing budget too. Just a thought.

So in summation what I’m asking for is a true spiritual successor to G1. It could take place in the far off future of G1 a la Nova Orbis, or be a back-to-basics reimagining like G2. Whether or not it links up with any preexisting “lore” is immaterial to me since I’ve long made my peace with both generations ending.

2 Likes