YouTube Discussion Topic

Youtube went down for a couple hours yesterday.

It was interesting. I surprisingly didn’t mind or care.

Youtube was down? i never noticed it. Was still working for me.

1 Like

From what I saw on twitch, it was affecting most people. Weird. It happened in the late afternoon in the US so maybe you were in a different time zone?

I didn’t notice lel

well, it’s the end times! run for live!

ok I think I should probably say more then just that.

Basically, You are required to ID your vids as “kid friendly” when applicable. If you don’t, a bot will find you, and ID it for you. This disables notifications and comments.

this is real bad for people like the LEGO YouTube community and it’s even affecting people like Nick on Planet Ripple. I’m really worried about this.

1 Like

Yeah… who decides what’s kid friendly?

They could tag things as non-kid friendly if they have an agenda they don’t like, they could do ANYTHING, and frankly, that kinda scares me.

2 Likes

YouTube has been scaring me for years now. Inconsistent demonetization, a copyright system that big corporations can easily exploit, algorithms that increasingly push content that YouTube wants instead of delivering the content people actually subscribed to in their inbox. Now, with the whole kids content thing… it’s not gonna be pretty. Nick had some good things to say on the subject:

2 Likes

Nick pretty much summed up my other worry. He’s on YT for the same reason om on the TTVMB’s, because I want to talk and interact with other people. I put MOC’s out here because I want feedback and opinions from other users, so I can get better, but if no one could give their opinions, what’s the point? This is a classic case of over-exaggeration. I mean, how often does bullying and abuse happen in the comments anyway? I feel about this the same way I feel about No political discussion. -Eljay

If Jang felt the need to make a half of hour long warning
Jang
then the situation is really bad.
Like, if this happen, I will loose about one third of all the channels I am subscribed too.
Channels from toys, to cartoons to even theorists, like MatPat, might fall.
If we axe all of them off, what remains?
It also doesn’t help that the YT’s AIs are trash. I will not get surprised if things like WWII videos would get demonetised because oh, they were animated.
And 42 million dollars… God…

1 Like

Wow… This legitimately scares me.

I wonder if it affects private, or unlisted videos.

Because, I have one video, on my channel, it is unlisted, of the Game XCOM 2 (made for you actually, Vladin) but it could be seen, from a distance, as for kids, since it features a Video Game.

Okay, I know this is double posting, but I feel like this is too important just to be an edit. So please, mods. I respectfully ask you not to merge this with my above post. Thank you.

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FTC-2019-0054-0001

If you think that the COPPA is too vague or aggressive, and would like to voice your concerns, please, go to this website, and make you opinion heard. Please be civil. If all the FTC sees, is a bunch of angry people, yelling and insulting them, they aren’t going to listen.

And there is also this petition, on Change.org, where you can also let the FTC know your concern and discontent.

1 Like

So it wasn’t COPPA behind this whole trouble… It was YouTube that cares for nothing but money.

(I’m pretty sure this goes here, as it pertains to YouTube.)

You all know what happened with COPPA, right? If not, here’s the short version: Google and YouTube were breaking the law with how they recommended videos to kids, so COPPA came down on them for it.

I don’t fully understand what happened to cause YouTube’s following actions, but after they were sued, YouTube has been hitting its content creators hard. They’ve been forcing YouTubers to mark their content as made/not made for kids, threatening to sue them if they don’t. And if their videos are marked as not for kids, then they’ll get less money. That on its own is supremely unfair.

But what I REALLY don’t get is the nitpicky changes. They’ve turned off comments on videos made for kids. And for those same videos, they’ve disabled the miniplay feature. WHY? How on earth do those things affect whether a video is recommended to kids? I just don’t get it. I’m already confused as to how/why the ads on “adult” videos work the way they do, but this just baffles me.

1 Like

Comments being taken away I could live with, but the loss of mini player is so infuriating

Well, i can understand the comments, because those things can be used, in theory, to bait and manipulate kids. I can even sorta see the logic (as exaggerated and extreme as it is) behind turning off the subscription bell, but other than that, most of the removals make no sense.

As for the adult ads, they work by tracking what you watch and look at, and giving you ads for things you are more likely to buy. For example, if you spend alot of time watching lego videos, and visiting lego-centric sites, and searching lego related topics on google, they will show you an ad for lego, rather than say… the ninja blender, because you are more likely to buy that product, and the advertiser (lego) makes more money, which trickles down to the advertisee (google/YT). They alter the ads to “target” you, hence the term “targeted” ads. It’s almost uncanny how accurate they can be about location, age, intrests, it’s both incredible and terrifying at the same time. That’s why the ad revenue from videos marked “for kids” will drop, google/yt is making less money, therefore, they can’t afford to pay the creators as much.