BIONICLE 2015 Discussion Topic

Forgive me if I’m way behind on this, but speaking of the Poly-Bag, do we know the general release date of it? And do we know if it will be available to the whole world rather than what happened with the gold Kulta mask?

Picked up the Graphic Novel at my local B&N a few hours ago. I’ll put all my observations in spoiler tags, just to be safe:

• It sort of stinks that the book only covers the first half of 2015. I would at least have liked it to cover the whole year. Ending it at the battle with LoSS makes the whole book seem a little late to the party…kinda like it’s old news.
  • I like the prophecy being included at the beginning, it sets up the mystery nicely.
  • The artwork is generally very nice. I like the way Korgot’s knives are drawn on pg. 10, and Tahu’s panel on pg. 11 is pure awesomeness.
  • I agree with those who say that the characters of the Toa are much more in-line with the G1 Toa Mata. I particularly liked Kopaka’s decision to focus on the present, not the past, Lewa’s memories of flight, and Pohatu’s failed attempts to hide his inner softie.
  • Tahu: “I’m sure the villager will be looking forward to meeting me too.” Narmoto: “Undoubtedly.” The sass…
  • The chin is strong with Gali on pg. 29.
  • For some reason, the Toa aren’t wearing their Golden Masks in the battle with LoSS.
  • Apparently, the Great Crater was the location of Okoto’s capital, which seems to contradict the importance of the City of the Mask Makers.
  • The Protectors believe that the Temple of Time can connect Okoto with other planets and worlds through time and space, lending even more credence to the idea that the two universes may be linked somehow.
  • The Mask of Time is confirmed to be in two pieces. To me, this seems to be an obvious attempt to label the missing bottom half as the Vahi. Maybe each alternate universe has a Mask of Time (or the potential for one) that acts as a connection between them?
6 Likes

The poly bag is a 2016 item and as such was already discussed a week or so ago in the 2016 topic

I’m getting the feeling that all the Protectors are very sassy.

Is it bad for me to hope that the graphic novel is considered “more canon” and retcons the animations? It’s not because I don’t like the animations, but it’s because in the graphic novel the Toa use their weapons and elements BEFORE having their golden masks, which is what I hated about the initial story we had.

That and the fact that Tahu acts like Tahu.

6 Likes

I’d prefer to take bits and pieces from ALL the forms of media we received. Some aspects may or may not be canon but I think it’s safe to say that we should draw our own conclusions. Remember: The “official” story is just a mere guideline/example. In my story I have a group of Humans interact with the inhabitants of Okoto. Also there’s a Kill La Kill and Hero Factory crossover but Okoto is located in the Andromeda Galaxy not the Milky-way.

In short there’s a lot you can do with this canvas of the G2 story :grin:

If you’re into that type of thing, but being a BIONICLE fan from the very beginning means that I like my stories to have a lot of depth. High expectations, I know, but G1 managed to pull it off a few times. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not exactly sure if BIONICLE would have attracted me and kept me buying the sets and reading the comics for as long as it did when I was a child if it followed LEGO’s “tell your own story based off of the examples we give” philosophy. BIONICLE was always the odd theme out when it came to LEGO’s philosophy, and I truthfully prefer it that way. It allows for a deep and rich story to be told. As a child I couldn’t use my imagination if there wasn’t already a world with rich lore to begin with. It just wasn’t possible for me.

There really is. In fact hearing other people’s take on mysterious or unexplained details is very fun and interesting. Of course it helps to have a little extra content but G2 is doing just the right amount. Major plot points should be addressed, but small stuff? I’d like for that to be a tad ambiguous.

When Slizers and Roboriders came out their stories were so unknown that it was very hard to imagine my own. Who was the good and bad guys? What did they want? Why were they fighting? Most of the time I simply played rather than role played.

Bionicle comes along and all of a sudden I have a cast of characters and a huge story. While I appreciated the atmosphere I never extended my story play into the main characters because it just felt wrong. The main story dictated they were already doing different things. Adding new characters into my fictional universe was my style, and because the story was so heavy I kept their universe parallel to the real the one. Stories never really went big because I felt pressured to keep the two worlds separate.

With G2 I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I have enough space to add my own spin on the story and enough details to understand the world.

I don’t this retcons anything, just clarifies that they can use those abilities separate from their golden masks. The animations may have just shown that they prefer to primarily use certain weapon arrangements.

1 Like

[quote=“Eljay, post:12114, topic:71”]
I don’t this retcons anything, just clarifies that they can use those abilities separate from their golden masks.
[/quote]Eh, I wouldn’t go as far as to say that. In the animations all Tahu did was run away or punch and kick before getting his Golden Mask, where it was shown that he could finally use elemental powers AND his weapons. In the graphic novel, he’s just casually slicing skull spiders up with fire flowing from his blades whenever he wants WHILE wearing his normal mask. So the idea that the Toa HAVE To wear their golden masks to unlock their elemental power is retconed.

Instead it seems the new canon is that the golden masks give them a link to Ekimu’s head voice as well as the elemental power needed to awaken him. (That is of course, if the graphic novel is considered canon to begin with. Aww man it’s G1’s various early story discrepancies all over again!)

No. The idea is and always has been that the Golden Masks give them greater Elemental Power than they already had.

Also, it’s beginning to look like the second Graphic Novel, coming out in 2016, will tell the second half of the 2015 Story.
~W12~

Thing is, nothing conflicts. If something comes up that conflicts with something, and then is carried over consistently into other media or is officially stated to be the case, then that is a retcon. This doesn’t do that at all.

In the animations, actual combat isn’t shown often at all. Tahu wakes up and he seemingly accidentally fights off skull spiders, and then he and Narmoto travel to the Mask of Fire where Tahu is told to ignore them and get the mask. This graphic novel is the first time we’ve seen Tahu offhandedly fight them with weapons. And no, I don’t count those character animations as canon, since LoSS is there at everyone and that isn’t possible. =P

The graphic novel does not clash or conflict with previous canon material. They all work together nicely, much nicer than 01. =P

3 Likes

Just finished Ross and the GN, and, well:

this book contradicts what the previous book said about the Toa’s Golden Masks shattering.
Vizuna insists on calling his tail a sensor tail, which just sounds really awkward.
Harvali is nice.
Korgot’s chest blaster is finally confirmed canon. I am not happy about this.
The GN was weird. For some reason, the Toa’s Golden Masks disappear after they claim them. Pohatu had some nice personality. Apparently Vizuna didn’t know Lewa could fly. Tahu was blowing smoke when he said he was the leader.
Also, Tahu pulls off a Move in the GN almost identical to one from Tale of the Toa. I’m taking this as a hint that it’s the same Tahu.
Harvali is nice. My favorite new name.
Ekimu sure is cheerful.
Harvali is nice.
The back of Ross has the screwed-up Nilkuu.
Kulta and Basher are now locked up. Anyone else thinking they’ll be back?
LOSS definitely will be back.

Edit: my copy of RoSS is missing the table of Contents. Anyone else’s missing that?
~W12~

2 Likes

Not necessarily. It says that it was once the site of the capital. It’s quite possible they simply moved the capital.

3 Likes

RoSS was great.
Anyone else ship Korgot and Vizuna?

3 Likes

Wasn’t it stated somewhere that there were multiple places were they made capitols?

1 Like

I do seem to recall this, but not sure where.

Sure, why not?

~W12~

1 Like

I’m not a guy that really ships things. I prefer to buy them locally.

10 Likes

so I finished RoSS and the Graphic Novel

can finally safely say I enjoyed all of this years story

Is there an actual legitimate thing going on between them? Nothing gets on my nerves more than community shipping of characters with little to no chemistry between them.

[quote=“21sselliW, post:12126, topic:71”]
There’s a line by Vizuna that all but says it.
[/quote]I need proof man. Even if you send me what’s said in the form of PM.