BIONICLE The Journey to One Speculation

you don’t seem to understand my words there, i was refering to the Graphic novel there, but to the series, i want them to have a design that, even though is based on the sets, do not make them 100% accurate, i mean would you love to see holes in the toa’s legs or arms? the promotion image that we have shows the Toa to be “really” gappy in their desing, and to me it would seem distracting to kids.

also another thing that worries me is that if Netflix goes the toy accurate design, then the bows and arrows in the bionicle universe would just look like crossbow looking guns, and as we know, the magazin says that Umarak uses poison dipped arrows, but that in the netflix series, they will would probably show them as ither the studs or as how the animation shows them as, energy projectiles, which would probably confuse kids on why it says that he has arrows when he only shots energy projectiles on his enemies. So again, im worried that they would just make kids think that the bows the figures comes with are in “truth” crossbow ray guns.

This is how the animation portrais the bows

also, this is the feel i want the netflix series to give me:

Ah, I did not notice that you were referring to the comics there…

I would also prefer a more stylized, not completely set-accurate style, but in terms of practicality, it’s unlikely that we’ll get something like that. Remember, TLR filled all of the open pin holes with their animation. Sure, the Bara Magnans were supposed to be organic, but at least they did that much. It’s not impossible that the new style will do the same.

TBH, it’s possible that the promotional image isn’t the style at all (possible, but not likely). Anything can change between now and the release date. Who knows, perhaps this style will look better in action. After all, a still image can only tell us so much…

1 Like

i would be more ok if the netflix series do use a style similar to the grapich novel’s cover, where in they are close to the set designs, but not completly

4 Likes

Yeah, that seems like a nice style…it reminds me of Carlos D’Anda’s work, with a little of the webisode style mixed in.

2 Likes

I like that idea.

http://catalogs.lego.com/Club/us/2016/JanFeb/redbrickJanuary2016/

4 Likes

“Unite the Fusion Masks”? I guess that explains why Ekimu is coming back. Also, I like this style, a bit accurate to the sets, but distorted enough to look unique.

3 Likes

So speculation on 2016 plotline;

Winter;

• Be told about the Mask Of Control and how it disappeared
  • Learn of creatures
  • Get upgraded
  • Find creatures
  • Unite with creatures to fend off Umarak
  • Creatures revealed to have taken the Mask Of Control and placed it in a maze
  • Creatures lead Toa to maze

Summer;

• Race Umarak through the maze to reach the Mask Of Control
  • Encounter wild beasts within the maze
  • Umarak reaches the Mask Of Control first
  • Toa, Ekimu and Creatures desperately fight an empowered Umarak
  • Ekimu uses the ‘power of unity’ to power-up similar to how he was revived
  • Ekimu fights Umarak with Ekimu winning
  • Makuta is revealed to be close to finding the Mask Of Ultimate Power

Speculation on episodes based on that idea;

Episode 1; Arrival of the Toa, backstory of Ekimu/Makuta, find masks, defeat LoSS
Episode 2; Enter city, defeat villains, revive Ekimu, defeat empowered Skull Grinder
Episode 3; Upgraded by Ekimu, find creatures, unite with creatures to fend off Umarak
Episode 4; Enter maze, race Umarak, fend off beasts, battle empowered Umarak, united as one to give powers to Ekimu, cliff-hanger of Makuta awake to tease 2017.

3 Likes

I like this set-up, but IMO the episodes would have to be at least 45 minutes each to do the story justice without seeming cheesy or rushed…

Plus, the poster seems to indicate that the show will focus on 2016, though the 2015 art on the web article indicates otherwise…

4 Likes

yes pls

2 Likes

I don’t think it will cover 2015. The teaser art is just that, teaser art. Lego wouldn’t release art of the 2016 sets that early, and teasers aren’t always meant to show what is to be expected (think the first Halo 5 teaser with Chief in the desert).

And for those saying that the 2015 story will need to be explained, that doesn’t really constitute a whole two episodes. Or even one. Just a quick prologue would cover that.

2 Likes

Yeah, can kind of understand that. I think its best to take the Futurama film approach, where its less ‘four individual episodes’ and more along the lines of a movie just split into 4 chapters.

Eh, i feel it will cover 2015 in some way to make it accessible to those who didn’t see the animations. Whether that’s done in a single episode, two episodes or a flashback at the start is unclear. Though i would probably expect them to balance things out a bit - 2 episodes for one year, 2 episodes for the new. Then they could release another two episodes as a 50 minute film in 2017 to cover the final aspects of the ‘Mask Maker’ trilogy.

Man I just love the art style. Let’s hope the lighting, movment, and effects are fantastic as well. So far it looks very promising.

The pacing seems to be the biggest wild card here. Personally I think the episodes are going to be around 20-min and the 4 episodes are going to tell the entire 2016 story, but really anything is possible.

2 Likes

This show looks promising. I need a trailer before I make any solid thoughts.

2 Likes

To that effect, I really hope these episodes show the Toa actually USING their elements in unique ways, rather than just blasting horde enemies aside or creating cheesy colored lightning. I want to see Gali make tentacles out of water, or Kopaka fire icicles, or Tahu slashing out arcs of flame like a boss.

Basically, if the Toa use their elements in any way reminiscent of Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra, I will be one happy camper.

I agree. An awesomesauce, action-packed trailer would be great!

1 Like

That just seems excessive to me, considering we have the books and the animations and all that, and because 2015 had almost no substance to the story, it was literally “Stop LoSS, stop the skull dudes, stop Kulta, wake up Ekimu.” There was no character growth, no complex backstory, or anything.

1 Like

The Netflix series is a chance to give it substance, given the series is likely targeted at those joining the franchise at this point if they missed 2015.

Just because 2015 was a fairly simple storyline does not mean the adaptation to Netflix needs to be the same. The show can dive into aspects left unexplored or undeveloped by the other media.

• Explain backstory
  • Develop characters
  • Improve upon action sequences
  • Allow for character interactions
  • Larger focus on ‘finding the masks’
  • Etc…
1 Like

The animation style is surprising. Kind of like the banner art we got in the announcement but not quite. I can’t solidify my feelings on it just yet, but it’s not bad… not bad at all.

1 Like

Yes, I do like Adventure Time, but 11-minute episodes won’t work for a series which only has four episodes confirmed.

7 Likes

OH GOSH! OH GOSH NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Thats good, the bionicle fandom can be downers at times.

[quote=“BlueCel, post:5645, topic:15529, full:true”]
I personally wouldn’t, the realistic textures suits better, and the style in the Netflix show is 11/10 god tier. Imo
[/quote] yup

5 Likes