Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Topic

I’ve only really played and DMed 5th edition, and I like that system, so… I’d probably stick with that. As for who else wants to join… I guess I’ll make a ‘recruitment’ topic.

Should I put up Wednesday and Thursday night time windows, just to see what would work better for most people? Or are you guaranteed not free on Thursday night?

1 Like

Oh thank god. that is the best system in my opinion. I no longer have any of the books sadly for it. but I have the internet.

this will be a good Idea.

Yes let’s see what’s the best.

I have a grayscale pdf of the entire players’ handbook if that would help. Roll20 also has a rules ‘repository’ thing that you can check mid-game. It also includes descriptions of most of the spells, thank goodness.

1 Like

Yes that would help even though I have a basic understanding of the game.

I use to have a real good understanding of the game, but then I wasn’t able to play the game for like a year.

I’m guessing we’ll do something like a “session 0” on the first night to explain some basic rules and help people make characters. I’ll also talk a bit about the setting and such, since I already have one that I started working on last year.

1 Like

Oh I remember How to make characters. Because I never stop making them.

Sounds groovy.

1 Like

Same here, brother. Same here… I’ve made more than two times as many characters as I’ve ever been able to play. Some of the highlights include Himo Arachno, a Drow Druid of the Underdark, Grodd the Gorilla Monk, Baymax the Warforged Life Cleric and literal healbot, and Sprinkles, the cat who’d been given magical powers and was working on becoming an enchantment/illusion wizard. And those are just some of the ones I’ve played…

Working on recruitment topic now.

1 Like

Whoa you can now play as a cat? Things really have changed.

1 Like

There was a homebrew “catkin” race that I slightly altered with the DM’s permission. Basically, the story was that Sprinkles used to be an old Wizard’s pet that, during some arcane experiment, got hit by a supercharged version of the “Awaken” spell, which endowed the feline with superhuman intelligence (score of 18 at lvl. 1). He subsequently escaped the wizard’s study and set off on his own, intending to surpass the old master by using his new-found spell-casting abilities. He behaved more or less exactly as you’d expect a talking cat to: self-important, arrogant, and generally pompous and big-headed. He also insisted on being referred to by his “wizard name:” Thermidor the Magnificent. He was great fun.

No, there’s no rules stating that you can play as a cat, but an appropriate backstory can make just about anything happen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You sound like an awesome DM. By the way are lizardfolk a playable race yet?

Not officially, though Lizardfolk characters could definitely be made. There’s probably a homebrew lizardfolk race out there somewhere, and if not I’d be open to making one based on the monster manual Lizardfolk. Dragonborn are also solid, giving the “play as a lizard” feeling while sticking within the ‘official’ ruleset.

1 Like

Oh yes I have made several Dragonborn characters. I played as then all the time in 4 edition. I also loved play as Shardminds in 4 edition, Have they been brought into 5 edition yet?

1 Like

Unfortunately not… Haven’t even seen them in the monster manual. Shardminds were always very psionic-focused, so they probably won’t appear until 5e psionics is finalized. It’s currently in development.

1 Like

Oh well I hope they are brought back in 5e psionics. Any way I will probably make a Dragonborn rogue then.

1 Like

Sounds great for the campaign setting I’m planning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay, cause I already made him a while ago. I just need to remake him at level one, and in 5E.

Recruitment topic posted:

http://board.ttvpodcast.com/t/were-starting-a-d-d-campaign/19236

2 Likes

Are we finally doing this, I’m so happy :smile:

1 Like

I finally gave up resisting and am letting my friends teach me the ways of D&D

1 Like

Once you get into D&D you can never go back. That is just a warning.