Ninjago Movie Discussion (and Speculation) Topic

Have fun, everyone.

3 Likes

Fun?! Right now the movie we all anticipated for years and which could have brought new life to Lego’s own IP thus making it more popular, is getting pulled down to a pit where Ninjago movie haters are partying along with Bionicle Gen 2 haters.

Sure the yelling is always fun to listen to and I can agree with most of the points they mentioned about the movie. Yet is doesn’t help on its overall bad rating which shows it is indeed Lego’s weakest movie production to date which had to be about the company’s most popular theme. At least we got some brilliant sets, probably with the most creative building techniques so far.

4 Likes

Too much yelling 2/10.

1 Like

Y’know, I just had a thought. The movie was actually the perfect NinjaGo movie. It wasn’t a perfect movie, but NinjaGo media has never been perfect. The movie had promise and had some cool stuff but ultimately fell flat. Sounds like the TV show minus Rise of the Snakes, Tournament of Elements, Possession, and Skybound. :joy:

5 Likes

The negative public reception for this movie and the slight slowing demand for LEGO as a product has me concerned for both the company’s continued growth and the future of Ninjago and other original IPs in the future. It doesn’t help that it seems Ninjago is starting to slowly lose more of its user base without gaining many newcomers.

I work in an after school program with a group of kids, and I’ve noticed that enthusiasm for LEGO products has diminished substantially. Two years ago Ninjago was a frequent subject. Now though? I never hear any of the kids even mention Ninjago. It’s usually just LEGO Minecraft, with the exeption of Batman and even one child who likes Nexo Knights.

This movie seemed to be the best chance for Ninjago to escape the trap of gradual disinterest BIONICLE G1 started to suffer from. It was the perfect solution to the question “how do we maintain this franchise?” Now that it has negative reception, it puts the theme at odds with the public view and keeps it from being able to have the opprotunity to grow beyond its current state.

4 Likes

Well LEGO needs to make their toys cheaper to buy. Cant really imagine anyone buying a100 dollars set that looks and feels like a 50 or 30 dollars worth set. Maybe those that are uber fans, but that wont hold the profit much since they need to expand on regular consumers as well and the fact is, LEGO is getting more expensive while the buying power of people stayed the same or is lower.

Also leave the story creation to professionals. LEGO was never good at making stories for their lines, irronically they were limiting for an unlimited toy. The only reason why there were some great stories was because outside people came and contributed their best and pushed the boundaries that LEGO would never do themselves.

I don’t think this has anything to do with it at all. Middle Class families are more well off than before, and LEGO is expensive because it uses quality plastic. They’re still doing good, and the toy itself is relatively popular with consumers. The problem, as I said, is lack of further exposure, overestimation, and the negative reception towards the Ninjago Movie.

Their story themes ARE done by professionals.

6 Likes

Friendly reminder that the price per part for the sets was awesome, as someone who doesn’t really buy Lego a whole lot anymore I will outright say that those sets were done darn well.

5 Likes

In the meantime the promotion for the Lego Ninjago Movie is still going. Now mostly for the UK since it is their turn to release the movie the next month. Yet I think the Movie got more advertising and promotion that an actual good story.

11 Likes

You honestly can’t look at these and say that this isn’t dishonest movie advertising. The whole time they’ve focused the advertising on the idea of parodying mech fights and Kaiju battles. In the movie, we only get a little mediocre second of that before they irrationally destroy the mechs and squander the very thing they advertised the movie to be about.

They made it seem like the idea was to take Ninjago and make it relatable by parodying the well-known asian popculture that the mainstream consumer in the U.S. would understand. Godzilla, anime, mecha, martial arts and Power Rangers/Super Sentai. That’s the type of stuff that should’ve inspired this film.

I really apologize if I sound too salty. As time goes on the disappointment and what could’ve been just makes all of this hurt worse. That, and my allergies make me slightly irritable.

It’s just so frustrating, because the advertising and what all of it appears to be selling just seems so good compared to what we ended up getting. The advertisment ties itself more closely to what we were told we were getting when the film was announced a few years ago compared to what we actually have.

The sets are sooo good though, which ends up giving me contradictory feelings when looking at them. On one hand, hey, signature vehicles that aren’t stupid automobiles and they have unique designs with muted colors. They feel more serious than most Ninjago sets. Problem is, the movie wasn’t great and the mechs were destroyed early on so they have no significance to me outside of being great sets. It stings worse because they won’t be used in the show either and we’ll never get to see them in a sequel. I also like the new character designs, which also makes me sad to go back to the show versions.

If you guys can, pick up 70607. It’s honestly a really pleasing aesthetic set, and it’s what I want more of from Ninjago, rather than constant vehicles (not including mechs and dragons, I like those) like recently. I guess you could argue that the police car might be the main draw, but I think the food stand and lamp posts outshine it.

2 Likes

I mean the theme was so well done with high quality sets that it managed to appeal to a really wide audience, like myself who had no interest in Ninjago before whatsoever. But these sets are just magnificent! I think they are popular because everyone could find some designing techniques which represented something they all individually liked from previous themes. ( Exo-Force = Fire Mech, Ultra Agents = Water Strider, Milano = Ligntning Jet, Asian styled Ninjago Dragon = Green Mech Dragon, and even a little Space theme was putting into the Ice Mech as far as I can tell ) They highligted this wave with them and then they even managed to increase the creativity by giving more details for the sets to look similar yet more unique from the themes that inspired them at some point and made them better.

4 Likes

Can you really tell me that G2 Bioinicle was done by professionals…

1 Like

Even professionals can only do so much under management constraints. But this isn’t really the place for this discussion.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed a trend in the ttv fanbase that I can only think to call ‘ketar syndrome’, which is as follows:
-Lego product released
-mixed opinions
-(if)ttv comments negatively on product
-general opinion lowers

I’m not trying to make some self righteous point by pointing this out, just commenting that it’s happening for tlnm as well.

12 Likes

i think it has something to do with the popularity of some people. I think we all have noticed that when ever a popular persion say that something is good or bad, the majority of people will in some chases agree with them.

2 Likes

Ketar isn’t that bad of a set. I’ve never hated him like some others have (I’ve always had more of an issue with Melum).

This would happen with or without TTV. Some other YouTube LEGO based channel would probably be saying the same things, and opinions would lower regardless, or people would get there themselves without a channel doing so for them. It’s just a channel talking about it speeds up the process somewhat.

Also, fans of anything are usually harder on that thing than a general audience would be.

4 Likes

It’s also help deciding whether the set is good or bad when that one reviewer brings fair points along with visual showcase and when they declaring the flaws or charms of the set they mention, those are always opinion based so at the end, the viewers can decide whether they agree with them, consider them or dismiss them.

This more often than not is an issue that I have stumbled here.

A regular member comments “I like mars bars.” , maybe gets 2-3 likes.
A TTV member comments: “I like mars bars.” , gets 100+ likes.

Its riddiculous.

So the trend of agreeing with popular community members no matter how nonsensical or meh it can get with the popular members stated opinions is a thing and should not be disregarded when it comes to spreading trending opinions.

2 Likes

Disclaimer: My previous opinions were based on spoilers and what I’d been told alone. The thoughts shown here are my current opinion, and everyone has the right to disagree

So, I just got back from watching the LEGO Ninjago Movie. It was actually pretty good, in contrast to the general opinions I’ve seen expressed. A lot of the cons in the movie seem grossly exaggerated, from my perspective at least. The film isn’t perfect, but the flaws certainly aren’t as detrimenral as others make them out to be. The main issues I had with the movie came from the cringey Ultimate Weapon montages and one or two other jokes.

For the most part, the premise was soundly enjoyable to me. The movie is about being more open minded. The message is not to judge others, and if you’re the victim of intolerance, don’t let it get to you because you have something special about you that they don’t. The kids at Lloyd’s school, the other Ninja’s, and Garmadon all represent a form of judgementalism. Even then, there was still always someone there supporting Lloyd, whether it be his uncle or his mom. The big realization at the end was that even if people were against him, his mom was there supporting him, taking burden and scorn just as much as he was.

Now, I do think that the final segment should’ve had more action in it, and I think they could’ve been a lot more clear on the overall message, but I still think this is a good movie. I’d put it at a 7/10. Personally, I liked it more than The Batman Movie, but eh.

Edit: The news reel thing was annoying the second time. I was fine with it the first time.

7 Likes

For all the flack the movie is getting, at least the sets are some of the best we ever gotten from LEGO, so far.

In the end, it was worth.

3 Likes