Reasons your family doesn't like TTV (and/or Bonkle)

Makes me curios if there is a sports topic. Would E-sports even be counted as a sport? I should probably use the little search feature before I sound like more of an idiot.

Team NP 4 life

It’s pushing for legitimacy, I mean, major tournaments are getting broadcast on ESPN now. But I don’t know if it’ll ever be really accepted by the masses.

1 Like

Hey, Jeremy Lin is a Dota player, and Serena Williams is endorsing professional OverWatch. Progress is slowly being made, even if it likely won’t be accepted in the near future.

Also, Team NP is amazing, because Envy is, and always will be, bae. Plus AUI is cool.

My dad is fine with Bonkle, he just doesn’t like them to be all over the house. (The work of my 4 year old brother) My mom actually kind of likes Bonkle, and will buy me a set every once in a while if she thinks it’s cool and worth the money.

1 Like

My family is pretty indifferent to my hobby. While they don’t scorn me in any way for being an AFOL, they also don’t really get involved in what I do. Their views on TTV are pretty much the same, though my brother will occasionally watch a top 10 video (after the top 10 shortest-lived LEGO themes video, he lamented the short lifespan for one of his favorite childhood themes, Rock Raiders), but that’s about it. The only time that my hobby irritates my family is when my dad wants to watch TV, but he can’t because I’m using it to play LEGO Dimensions.

1 Like

My mom is fine with bionicles.

No so much with TTV.

As for my dad. He is fine with bionicle too.

I haven’t told him about my ttv addiction.

1 Like

Expand on this please.

1 Like

She thinks people here are trying my ip address /s

Eh. She doesn’t like the concept of me hanging out with strangers that are addicted to Legos.

Something like that.

8 Likes

not a bad call imo

9 Likes

Shoot ltv i swear I was only trying to steal it for good reasons

7 Likes

As a brief clarification, I have a couple of friends IRL who are constraction fans. Back in early 2016, we were discussing Lego YouTube stars when I brought up Eljay and his one-of-a-kind mask habit. He thought that it was the weirdest thing in a field of persons who make videos on children’s toys.

-Azani

2 Likes

My step-dad actually likes my bionicle hobby, that when he went on a business trip he passed an unofficial lego store and bought me a gallon of parts including Solek, Gali Nuva and Lewa Mata

4 Likes

Back in August of this past year. I mentioned this blog post from my dad, originally published in March of 2004. Here is a screenshot of a firsthand account of a family member’s opinions on Bionicle.

6 Likes

My friends now permanently hate Bonkle because I’m talking about it 24/7 and they’re sooo annoyed by it.

But I have managed to drill some names and terms into them, one can even name all six Toa mata! :0

######And even Hewkii, Kongu, Kordak and Zamor!

4 Likes

Omg You got good friends.

1 Like

They probably want the person to go out of the house so that they can live freely that they havent beeing doing for years. The way they want the person to go out of the house and become indipendent from them varies with each family situation.

EXAMPLE: Seeing someone play with toys all day would seem to some parents that you aint doing anything with your life and that its going against the becoming indipendent thing…aka stagnant and cradled behavior.

Its a fairly logical mindest in families and cultures that come from a more traditional look at roles. Kids going out of the house and becoming adults so that they will be capable to sustain a family of their own. Toys represent a more idilic and carefree part of a persons life, when they had no worries of working 8 hours a day and coming home tired ready to just hit the hay (rince and repeat). This is what society expects of an individual to do.

There are exceptions to this rule, and its when you apply what was once your hobby into a substainable income…aka make cash out of kid market. But this is an exception and is very hard for people to get a sustainable income from this thats viable for taking care of a future family. Its also like being an artist, anyone can learn it and do it, only a few can be really good at it, and even smaller can pull through and actually make money of it in a sustainable way. At that point if you are constantly struggling to get income from something you liked as a hobby, you will ultimatelly start disliking it cause more often than not you will need to do whats profitable instead of doing what you are passionate about to keep getting revenue of it. (Which is why people that have artistic professions are more often then not unhappy internally because of these conflicts we what my job wants and what I want to do).

Now whats my personal situation with this. Obviously my family is indifferent with me liking Bionicle, TTV or any other passion free time thing. Its my hobby and something Im passionate about in my free time like anyone with their own specific things…so long as it doesnt distract me from doing things that are with no argument, more important like finding and working towards a sustainable and respectable job thats going to also sustain that enjoyable hobby that I dont want to just end entirely. If I find a job thats closely connected to what Im passionate about, even better, but right now they want me to focus on less risky ventures and I cant agree more with that. A balance of both is what keeps people happy while also moving forwards with more life challenges.

Fun little side note: They call them Bioniks or just Robots).

3 Likes

They call it sanity or something

The weirdos