Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker Topic

I have nothing but negative things to say.

I fundamentally disagree with every single shot in this trailer. Star Wars is dead.

Disney is parading around its corpse and charging money for people to see this poor, old monkey dance.

I’m sorry George.

1 Like

Yep. No matter how they bring palpating back it just reeks of desperateness. Why was snoke even a thing? Oh yeah I forgot; rian Johnson killed everything that may have been good otherwise by ignoring all previous setup in TLJ

2 Likes

Unironically I fully believe without a shadow of a doubt Rian did his best to ruin the entire franchise with TLJ. Everything about the movie that’s bad and nonsensical can be logically explained to some degree if that was Rian’s motive.

Also, according to Rian, the entire trilogy wasn’t even planned out. So, yes, it’s very desperate. It’s awful. I’m actually mad.

1 Like

I don’t have proof but I’m pretty sure he admitted he wanted to split the fandom with TLJ

2 Likes

Oh yeah there’s video evidence of him saying as much. He wants his movies to be divisive. I honestly have no idea how he got hired to make ep8…

1 Like

Why would he want to do that though? What would he have won if he intentionally wanted to split the fandom?

Because some people like to start fights and cause trouble. I don’t claim to know his mind, be there are some people like that. They just want to stir up trouble. To be infamous.

Remember what Zakatan says, “Good gets forgotten, evil never does.”

2 Likes

I mean, here we are, two years later, still arguing over The Last Jedi to no end. Rian basically replaced the Prequels with the most publicly discussed Star Wars film of all time. I think that’s actually harder to do than to intentionally make a movie bad or good.

But for Rise of Skywalker, I don’t know what to think. I just like Y-Wings and Mon Calamari.

2 Likes

Where?

I don’t know how I even noticed this literally the first time I watched the trailer…

1 Like

I’m in the exact opposite camp. Episode VIII wasn’t a perfect movie by a long shot but it was an improvement over Episode VII. Besides being a near copy/paste of Episode IV in some places, it didn’t do a good enough job building up the new characters that were supposed to be at the forefront of the new trilogy. Kylo Ren seemed like a poor man’s Anakin Skywalker with a disappointing amount of screen time, which while comparable to Vader in A New Hope, that film also had Tarkin to serve as the real main villain so we could learn who Vader is an respect him as a bad guy for Empire.

Poe Dameron is another problem. Disney has treated him like the new Han Solo, but of the “main” characters of the new trilogy, he had the least amount of screen time and pretty much sat out the second act entirely, not to mention most of the first as well. If one wasn’t reading his comics that came out after, you’d have no clue who this character was until Episode VIII.

Episode VIII sold me on both Ren and Poe as characters, finally giving them enough screen time for the actors to flex their muscles. Not liking their characters is another argument entirely, but at least you can tell what their characters are at this point.

Now we come to the supposed ignored “Set Up” from Episode VII into VIII. The Force Awakens didn’t set up anything that The Last Jedi didn’t deal with in some way. Rey is on an island to train with Luke to help the Resistance. We got that in spades. Kylo Ren is falling further to the dark side by killing his father, seeming to banish the light from him entirely. Snoke is a new puppet master, a Sidious to Ren’s Vader. Except instead of blatantly retreading more of the same ground like Abrams did, Johnson wisely nipped that in the bud by cutting Snoke in half so Kylo could get out of the shadow of his grandfather and be his own, new villain. I can understand not liking the way some of this was handled, but the set up was in no way ignored at all, since the set up we got by the end of the previous movie was vague. The deal with Rey’s parentage was really done and settled with in VII when Maz tells Rey that whoever she’s waiting for isn’t coming back. That should’ve been the end of it and Rey’s belated call to adventure to really go all-in. The only reason it was included in VIII is because the fans kept trying to theorize and Rian (hilariously) decided to shut them down.

And now we get the the crux of my argument and my worries for IX: J.J. is the real problem with the Sequel Trilogy and not Rian. The only reason VIII treat any sort of familiar ground whatsoever was because of where VII left off. We knew we were going to get another Degobah type story with Luke and Rey, and we knew we were ALSO going to get an Emperor’s Throne Room type story because of what Snoke said to Kylo: “Bring her to me.” Now, Rian could have left that for IX, but he dealt with it so that way IX could be as original as possible. With it already done, that meant the writers and directors of IX (Trevorrow at the time, now Abrams again) would have to think outside the box and do something we hadn’t seen before.

Of course now we’ve got one-trick-pony Abrams back with his mystery box and he’s recycling stuff that was thrown out at the concept stages for previous movies. I’m excited and intrigued, but his track record isn’t exactly that great when it comes to his writing. I’d argue the best of the newer Star Trek films is Beyond, which he didn’t direct and had no hand in writing. At least Episode VII had Lawrence Kasdan to help make the script feel genuinely Star Wars-y in enough places to escape my complete ire. We don’t have that on IX. There’s lots of cool stuff in this trailer, and while Palpatine is back someway somehow, there’s no way it can be a complete rehash of Episode VI unless Abrams wants to prove that he literally has no original ideas. Because of how VIII turned out, it’s going to have to do some things new and exciting… I hope.

And of course no matter how the movie turns out-

This statement can’t be further from the truth. People like Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau are going to keep the heart of it alive with projects like The Mandalorian and Clone Wars Season 7. These big shot directors will come and go, but what many consider to be the gooey nerdy heart of Star Wars will remain intact for years to come thanks to people at LucasFilm like them. I’ve been saying it since about 2012, but the modern era of Star Wars is best on TV (and streaming services). Not to mention games, novels, etc.

7 Likes

I don’t know if my brain got to the point in which it rejecs everything about the new trilogy, or the trailer is bad.
I hope it’s the last one.
But really now, this trailer reminds ne how easily I was getting hyped not more than a year ago. I would have found this trailer amazing.
But it’s not amazing by a long shot. It really is just meh at most and that’s it. I really don’t care for it.
Disney should thank me that I am willing to give a few bucks and some of my time to watch this in theaters.
Oh, one more thing: if it doesn’t have Anakin in it, I will organise a REAL storming at the Disney HQs.
If it doesn’t have Anakin, then by default it’s a bad movie.

My main issue with the Sequel Trilogy so far is that it’s more or less a rehash of the Original Trilogy. TFA rehashed A New Hope, and TLJ rehashed both Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
But that gives me hope that Rise of Skywalker would be an original story, since there isn’t anything left to rehash (or so I hope).

It’s a rehash of RotJ.

I personally can’t stand the idea of bringing back Darth Sidious. It’s just feels like the decision was made so they could say: “The vocal man babies didn’t like our new stuff in the prior movie, so we are giving them what they obviously wanted, the old stuff coming back for no reason other than the fans wants their fanservice.

I also didn’t like Snoke’s character in the movie. the fact that people argue that he is supposed to be this expy of the Emperor who, just like him is killed off and doesn’t really matter to the story (even thought, Snoke’s role and backstory was already hinted towards in the prior movies, unlike the Emperor who had no hints in the OT to the stuff that was revealed about him in the PT) doesn’t work. Personally i feel that they should have either never brought up anything about him in the movies if they wanted him to be like the Emperor, or, have him not be a force user. That would probably have been a twist, that this important figure who work together with Kylo, is not some powerful force user who has any knowledge of the force or it’s history. He is just some normal old dude.

2 Likes

Or maybe the could have done the whole samurai lord thing where they could’ve teased palpatine was alive and snoke was a fake emperor he was using. Yes it still would’ve been a huge FU to darth vaders final act but at least that would have been interesting,

In short rian Johnson killed this trilogy by ruining the most important movie of any trilogy.

We get it, you don’t like tlj, could you not say that every single time you post.

7 Likes

TLJ already rehashed RotJ. (I mean seriously, the throne room scene was literally a copy and paste from the original RotJ one).

I literally can’t see how.

That was because

1. Ryan wanted to have such a scene before killing Snoke
    And
  2. It was mostly the result of the combination between the rehash of the Vader/Luke fight at the end of Empire and the presence of Snoke.

Hmmmmm… did we watch the same Return of the Jedi? Cuz I can’t recall any scene where Luke and Vader team up to fight off a bunch of Imperial Guards with force pikes…

4 Likes