The LEGO Technic Discussion Topic

The new Lamborghini is neat and all, but there not catching my intrest until they make a Bugatti Atalante.

1 Like

I find this piece very interesting.

I assume that there will be a new helicopter that will use those

4 Likes

The Lamborghini does look pretty sweet. Really fancy, just like the real car.

I don’t know why, but this new set’s unveiling made me realize something: all these fancy Lamborghinis and Ferraris and other big, expensive cars…do they have any purpose, besides being parked in a store display and looking cool? Since they’re so shiny and fancy, it wouldn’t be very smart to use them for stunt racing, because there’s the risk of them getting damaged. For regular town driving, maybe, but cars like that are WAY too expensive for most people to afford.

2 Likes

That’s the thing. A good portion of these are what’s called “concept cars”. They’re there as a way for the designer to show off his skills, not to be mass produced. Designer clothes you see on runways often fulfill the same purpose. You can buy them, but they’re more designed to show off what the designer can do.

Is this one a concept car? I dunno, I haven’t looked into it, but I guarantee you that the production model (if it even has one) will be very stripped down in comparison.

3 Likes

But still, it seems kinda pointless to construct a fancy car that has extreme horsepower, and then keep it parked in your garage.

1 Like

That’s why you go to the race track and let 'er rip! (and yes, there are race tracks you can rent.)

2 Likes

So this year in 2021 we are getting “Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Double Split” in white again for the first time since the Krekka set used it in its disk retractor assembly in 2004. The 2021 X-Wing playset uses eight of them.

Due to the part’s rarity and high utility, this connector goes for crazy amounts of money on bricklink so it’s great to have it back. The X-Wing also includes 1x1 bricks with axle holes which is something that I feel is long overdue.

Update: With 2022 coming soon, lego has unveiled some new pull back racers with awesome new recolors, namely these:

2022recolors

5 Likes

I believe we’re getting one of the 3L axlepins in lime as well. Hard to tell from the picture, though.

3 Likes

If you watch the review for 42138 on Sariel’s Youtube channel, he shows which pieces are new recolors and I don’t believe the 3L axlepins were there.

I went back and rewatched the vid and they are two Lime “Technic, Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Center Pin Hole”.

sariel42138

2 Likes

Ah, I see!

2 Likes

42141 “McLaren Formula 1 Race Car” was revealed recently. It introduces 1x2 half liftarms in orange.

42141mclarenformula1racecar1x30

It took only twenty years, and I am still waiting on a B&P order with the pull back racer recolors.

3 Likes

I don’t do a ton of Technic building, but I’m still interested by this:

I was scrolling through Bricklink when I noticed that Lego has made two more new gears. That’s interesting enough on its own, but what makes these special is that they’re the first standard Technic gear in 20 years to have teeth counts that aren’t multiples of 4 (other than worm gears, obviously). This allows for more gear ratios, but, more importantly, the 14 tooth gear allows for consecutive axles in the gear train to both be positioned at 90 degree angles relative to their surroundings.

(Yes, the same thing could be accomplished with the old 14 tooth gears as well, but those are pretty flimsy compared to the current standard of gears, and they don’t mesh well with modern gears)

The only “issue” with these gears is that they’re bevel gears, which limits their use. I’m interested to see if Lego’s going to make spur gears with these tooth counts in the future.

EDIT: Never mind; after researching these gears a bit more, it seems that they can only mesh with each other, eliminating the possibility of new gear ratios. At least the 14 tooth gears can still be used to get rotationally-aligned axles.

5 Likes

Technically they still are multiples of four when using decimals

1 Like

That’s not how multiples work, not even “technically”.

2 Likes

But I say that it is correct so I’m obviously right

1 Like

Similarly to my last post above, Lego has made another way to obtain axle alignment for perpendicular axles, but this new part is far more versatile than the 14 tooth bevel gears:

Part 5405

From a New Elementary article:

(As a side note, I find that part number to be weirdly low for a new part.)

5 Likes

They’ve been filling out all the leftover four digit spaces recently. Almost every new part produced since early last year has been four digit, I think

3 Likes