Why do you like Bionicle?

Gathered friends, I thought it was about time to ask this question.

I will state my opinion another moment, as right now I don’t have enough time, and I also sort of want to see you guys’ opinions first, out of pure curiosity.

On a side note, I was completely blown away by the fact that this topic doesn’t already exist, honestly (at least none came out from the research button), so I figured I’d go ahead and make it.

10 Likes

I loved the sets, and I always thought the concept of the masks of power was great. The story was also something I enjoyed, but at first it was mainly the sets that I liked the theme for.

1 Like

FTFY.

And I guess my personal reason is that I loved it when I was younger because the toys were imaginative and fun, and as I got older I started to care a lot about the rich story and world.

1 Like

I love the sets and the storyline and the whole atmosphere of the franchise as well as the unique and diverse characters. Also it got me writing BIONICLE fanfiction which lead to my current career choice.

2 Likes

It all started with chewing on pieces.

I love this series. Nuff said. It is fun. Has a story. It is great all around.

1 Like

It was all about the story line. That was what got me hooked. The sets were great, but just a bonus.

1 Like

I love BIONICLE for the overall experience. It served as a kind of gateway to other interests and got me more and more involved with the community.

Building the sets over again or buying new ones gave me an eye for finer details. I’d begun noticing certain patterns. And as I pick up on these patterns I grow more invested in expressing them to the public; to see what others think. The reviews were an outlet for all this, a sort of commentary for set design.

Given BIONICLE was so versatile in its scale and premise, I also enjoyed the numerous creative possibilities. You have a entire universe- multiple universes even, to work around. What better way to test out certain ideas than here? I could now refine my writing skills, get these thoughts out of my head, extend my horizon to copious books and films. If anything, this franchise tempered my love for words and the craft of storytelling as a whole.

3 Likes

I love funky sci-fi.
Now, I don’t know if my love for bionicle came from my love of funky sci-fi, or if my love of funky sci-fi came from bionicle.
I suppose bionicle is what sparked my love of funky sci-fi because it was such a good example of it.
A funky sci-fi love uroborous if you will.

What makes you think I like Bionicle?

~W12~

2 Likes

I think it was just the scifi and mysteriousness aspects of it. These parts intrigued me and made want to continue following the story. It’s one of the reasons that most of the books that I read are scifi related

Bionicle has a way of making somebody wish they were a bionile.

I don’t know… I just love it!

1 Like

Same reason as galidor. All the newfangled pieces.

3 Likes

My original love for Bionicle were the toys. Then I discovered the community, and all it had to share. Once I got more parts and experience, I got into Bionicle MOCing, which has become my main contribution.

1 Like

I loved the masks of power concept and the idea of changing powers with different masks, the elemental stuff was another cool thing, sort of like avatar before avatar. What got me was also the concept of biomechanical beings, half robot animals roaming an island? That’s cool.

Not only are they biomechanical, but they’re tribal, biomechanical beings with no advanced technologies, always seemed cool to me to have tribal robots but not done in a way that seemed to be technologically advanced.

With the sets, it was just constraction, collectability and gear functions, in the later years it was because stuff got so much more awesome, giant vehicles, jet bikes, combining functions.

I think I got into Bionicle because as a kid I adored the concept that you could create your own characters rather than relying on fiction already predefined by others, and have them physically in hand at that! Bionicle provided a sort of open book that no other action figures could.

Of course that wasn’t all; as I began buying the sets, I was also swept up by the lore. Having become a fan in '05, there was already such an expansive universe to discover, and I made it a mission to uncover everything I could find of the story… Which was a challenging one to grapple with as a five year old! That devotion kept me going for as long as Bionicle remained and even continued afterwards(I kept the story going during the HF years with the help of a couple friends).

Nowadays I think it’s more a mix of nostalgia and an appreciation of creative world building/character design… And perhaps a touch of its use as a creative medium as well.

6 Likes

The story and the sets introduced me, but it was creating my own characters and coming up with a storyline which made me REALLY love BIONICLE.

2 Likes

It’s original.

And it’s my childhood.

It was kinda just from being a fan of LEGO, seeing ads for a few of the sets here and there, thinking they were kinda cool robot dudes, and buying 'um to try them out. I didn’t really know about BIONICLE’s story until I finally bought a few sets and even then, I never became a massive “I MUST READ EVERY BOOK, COMIC, AND SHORT STORY EVER” fan of the series.

2 Likes

Similar to what I was gonna say, except I became a fan earlier so the fun came less from digging into established lore, and more from learning as it went and having my mind blown at the giant plot twists that came along every so often. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes