An Official Statement Regarding Eljay

Yeah, he helped make this community what it is and it will continue to flourish.

Anyone with half a brain knows what I mean

Now, now. Letā€™s not overreact.

1 Like

Salty there.

Btw @OraNui, he meant that they took bionicle from the channel

On the spot. Eljay wouldnā€™t have wanted us to over react.

7 Likes

For the record, my theory, and probably many other peopleā€™s theory, is that Bionicle got cancelled again because of the lack of proper advertising coverage for it. They couldā€™ve done Halloween stuff, way more commercials across a crap ton more channels, easy-to-attend events and more promotional products! LEGO! What were you thinking when drawing up the promotional strategy for G2? That the fans would be rabid online enough and have an Internet-advertising-wildfire-type thing?! Because it didnā€™t work as well as you thought it would! (Clang! Slowly gets anvil off of head) I deserved that.

3 Likes

ā€œThis is stupid, this is so incredibly STUPID!ā€
-Eljaybot

14 Likes

So you are saying saying TTV got Bionicle cancelled?!

4 Likes

I am not touching this. I smell a possible flame-war here.

5 Likes

That didnā€™t need to be brought up. Everyone took that statement the wrong wayā€¦

No. Heā€™s saying that TTV stopped doing major Bionicle stuff.

3 Likes

Sorry, thatā€™s a topic that causes me to get a bit ranty. Again, sorry about that.

3 Likes

I mean, TTV still has a lot of current Bionicle content for being a LEGO Channel.

3 Likes

That is not the case, sorry

10 Likes

Honestly, Iā€™m still shocked and what @Azani probably felt the most right to me.

The impression I got was that the long friendship and personal desires of the individual cast members to not do this, that this was handled as most YouTube businesses do it. Preservation of the business came before the friendship. I would have much rather seen Eljay take a break from modding or whatever show was causing the friction rather than remove him altogether. Let him make a show by himself or just take a break from production altogether. Invi was gone for two years (I know itā€™s a different situation, but he was still fondly remembered until his return) I feel like now Eljay will just disappear from all mentions in the channel, since heā€™s a former employee that has been ā€œfiredā€ instead of being mentioned and appearing in stories.

11 Likes

It would have been nice to see a less permanent resolution tried first, since afterall itā€™s not like TTV members are paid, so being put on a temporary leave doesnā€™t affect the business side of things all too much, yet it also allows for the possibility of returning.

Though honestly we can only hypothesize until somebody gives more details.

I however do find it incredibly humorous that in the most recent podcast members of TTV were practically gloating about how transparent they are when it comes to matters with TTV, yet the same day we get matters like this where Transparency is thrown out the window and vagueness is the name of the game.

8 Likes

SPAMS TTV WITH JOB APPLICATIONS

All jokes aside, this really does suck. It will be difficult to see him go, but Iā€™m glad change will come. Best of luck to @Eljay.

5 Likes

Trust me, thereā€™s been a lot of different moves made to circumvent this conclusion.

Uh, some are actually paid.

What else do we need to be transparent about when it comes to this particular issue? Itā€™s an honest statement, and itā€™s been made clear that most details are meant to be private. Thereā€™s nothing vague about it- Stuff happened, antics ensued, and this is ultimately the resolution. Thatā€™s what happened, thatā€™s all you guys need to know. Do we need to give you a transcript? Do we need to give away all the details that some of us, including Eljay, would rather keep private? Donā€™t be ridiculous.

19 Likes

I was not aware as again the way TTV made it sound in their most recent podcast is that TTV was an unpaid hobby, and that money yaā€™ll did make went towards general upkeep and supplies versus labor.

As for this, no it would foolish to expect to know the nitty-gritty details. I donā€™t even think most people are wanting details as much as a ā€œHumanā€ response. Heck, I know thatā€™s what Iā€™m wanting, to know the people involved are actually distraught and that it wasnā€™t an easy decision to make. A written statement is fine and dandy, but written statements have a hard time expressing actual feelings, and written statements can be incredibly deceptive. The statement may say it wasnā€™t easy, but as it right now I view that statement as a corporate move, one to quell rumors and protect oneā€™s hide.

I mean I would have honestly expected some sort of spoken response given TTV was first and foremost a group of like-minded friends who shared a hobby, versus this company itā€™s trying to present itself as.

Of course I may also be jumping the gun and TTV has a spoken statement planned after the dust has settled. But right now, basing my reactions on what I see.

5 Likes

And it still is. I know I definitely would not even bother with the channel if I didnā€™t at least consider some of my crew mates to be my friends. At the same time, the other fact that you and several others need to accept is that we are both a company and a group of friends. This is mostly a hobby for us, but in order to maintain this hobby, we need financial support and a properly established working environment. It keeps us motivated and level-headed.

With that said, there is also a point where we do need to handle the more personal subjects like this in a more professional matter given the broader audience we have now. Not everyone will understand the details or even bother to care for it. On top of that, there is a lot of variables that neither you or the cast can predict. Our statement is intended to be presentable to anyone who would be the least bit concerned.

Thereā€™s no point in arguing what people should or could receive from this statement, itā€™s going to be completely subjective regardless. The statement has been written and itā€™s out there.

15 Likes

ElJayā€¦ where to start.

While technically I came to the TTV channel because of one of Varā€™s BIONICLE Autopsy videos, and stuck around because of Venā€™s ā€œOn EBay Todayā€ series, I really found enjoyment on the TTV channel when I started watching ElJayā€™s reviews. I never thought Iā€™d ever enjoy a review series, especially not on a series I knew so well and with sets I owned a fair amount of, but something about ElJayā€™s style was soā€¦ charming, so intriguing that I sat down and watched every one.

I watched TTV go from its earlier days in 2012 to its current endeavors, I remember Invi leaving for his mission, and the days when there was content on nameunavailable (for the short period of time that the channel was active). In all that time, I never thought Iā€™d see ElJay go. I know you have your reasons, and this is probly for the best, but itā€™s still a bit of a shock.

This is the part where I get sentimental, so a fair amount of you might want to stop reading here.

My first interaction with ElJay was, perhaps unsurprisingly to some of you, an argument. I stated on one of his videos on the TTV channel that I thought he was biased when it came to CCBS versus the older G1 BIONICLE system. I was long-winded about it, jumped to conclusions, called ElJay condescending, and was not exactly professional. Perhaps I wasnā€™t in a good mood that day, as I typically try to act professionally.

ElJay didnā€™t respond angrily though, but he didnā€™t take my accusations lightly either. He responded confidently, factually, logically, and intelligently. He didnā€™t insult me like I did him, and as we continued the discussion, I realized I was wrong to assume some of the things I did about him, and he knew that sometimes he came off as a bit blunt. We agreed in the end, and Iā€™d like to think he came away from that discussion happy it wasnā€™t just a long, drawn-out argument, but rather a fairly short, and civil discussion. I know I certainly did.

What makes me think he walked away from that discussion without hard feelings is his day-off streams. I could gush about how great those streams were, and about how ElJay was so interactive with the community, and how important that is, but I want to bring up a specific event that made me respect ElJay so much more than I already did.

Towards the end of a day-off stream, ElJay was gonna invite a guest on, as he usually did in the last hour or so of the stream. When asking who to invite, the chat responded ā€œnot someone from TTV.ā€ Probly as a joke, who else would he invite?

Well, as it turns out, me. I certainly didnā€™t expect that, but he decided to invite someone from the chat, and he made up his mind that heā€™d invite, me, of all people. The guy whoā€™s only interaction with him up to that point (other than the occasional joke in the chat of a day-off stream) was an argument. I hopped on Skype, we chatted for a bit, I introduced myself, yadda yadda. What was interesting about that event to me, was how incredibly kind and relatable ElJay was. I know a lot of people get into arguments with him on the Boards or whatnot, but talking to him on stream was nothing like that. We made a joke here or there, we disagreed on a topic respectfully without so much as a hint of hostility, and he even asked me ā€œWhat would you like to say to the BIONICLE community as a whole?ā€ to finish off. Sounds like a question in a political debate or an interview, but it was cool of him to want to hear my opinion, even if only for a little bit.

ElJay wasnā€™t just one of my personal favorite content creators on TTV, or an inspiration to the community and to my own personal work, but he was a good man. A genuine, kind, silly, and respectful person, and if I had the ability to interact with him more, perhaps even a friend. Heā€™s obviously a good friend to the people at TTV, thereā€™s no doubt in my mind about that.

Good luck, TTV, and good luck to ElJay. Iā€™ll still follow and support both of you, as I have since 2012.

26 Likes

I suppose given that information the presentation of the statement makes a bit more sense, and I can see now why itā€™s written in the very corporate way it is.

7 Likes