Doctor Who Discussion Topic

I don’t necessarily think it was worse than 1, just not as good as any of the others. For one thing, a lot of the episodes seemed very rushed; either they were very cliché and predictable (like the submarine one–10 or 15 minutes into the episode, I knew exactly how the whole thing was going to play out), or they weren’t thought out well (like The Angels Take Mahattan, which makes no sense on multiple levels and comes off as a badly contrived way to write Amy and Rory out of the show.) You already brought up Clara–I like her first few appearances, but after that she became very bland and uninteresting (though I think she got better in season 8). Overall, it seemed not bad, but uninspired, like the writers were having an off-year (I believe they got a new group of writers mid-season, which may have something to do with that). In contrast, season 1 has its share of terrible episodes, but there are also some really great ones (especially the Doctor Dances and Bad Wolf two-parters), and it introduced one of the best companions, Jack Harkness. That’s the short version of my thoughts on the matter. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

For one thing thanks for the conformation @john_sheppard ! I now understand why people don’t like series 7! Also I am so hyped! The premiere for series 9 in Canada is tomorrow!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

No prob! :slight_smile:

Pretty sure it premieres everywhere tomorrow. :smiley: It’s gonna be awesome.

3 Likes

Oh, something I forgot to mention the other day–technically the Day/Time of the Doctor aren’t part of S7; they count as their own group of specials, kinda like Tennant’s last 5 specials. If they were part of S7 I’d rank it a bit higher–I LOVED DotD and liked aspects of TofD, especially 11’s final scene.

1 Like

I feel like Smith’s Regeneration was underrated, with Tennant receiving a bit too much love with his.

2 Likes

I think part of it may have to do with what the overall episodes were like. 10 spent ~20 minutes of screentime saying one last farewell to all his friends, which made his regeneration all the more tragic. 11’s last episode was more focused on the plot until the last few scenes.

1 Like

T-Minus 3.25 hours until episode 1 premieres on the east coast

1 Like

Say what you will, you hanged Whovians!

Mata Nui, this is the best introduction to a season!

1 Like

The Doctor riding into an arena, on a Tank, playing the Electric Guitar. That is:

4 Likes

How can anyone not love Peter’s Doctor?

2 Likes

That. Episode. Was. Great.

Possibly R.I.P Clara and Missy? <----CAUTION: EXTREME SPOILERS

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure they are alive. We saw them do a bit more in the Trailers.

3 Likes

Yeah, but in this episode, it’s all cliff hanger-y.

I liked it

1 Like

THE FEELS

But yeah, no way Clara and Missy are gonna stay dead. Hopefully next week’s episode will explain it all satisfactorily.

2 Likes

I have a feeling Capaldi is actually gonna kill kid-Davros, or at least find a way to prevent the creation of Daleks.

yeah, that’s not happening. For one thing: no daleks means no Dalek stories ever. A huge portion of the Doctor’s existence would simply cease to exist.
Also, the Doctor explained it in last season’s finale. If he does that, then he’d have no reason to have done it ever, as the Daleks would have never existed in the first place, giving him no reason to go back and prevent their existence.

4 Likes

Don’t you just love paradoxes?

2 Likes

Indeed. Though my favorite pair 'o Docs was 10 and 11 in the 50th anniversary special. XD

2 Likes

I hate to be the pessimist, especially when it’s obvious how many other people liked this episode, but I though The Magician’s Apprentice was really bad.

The pacing and constant change of mood made me feel like I was being treated like a child with an extra short attention span.

Since the next episode is gonna be on tomorrow, I think it’s okay for me to spoil and say that the only part I really liked was when The Doctor and Davros talked to each other.