Doctor Who Discussion Topic

I have to agree.

David Tennant or Matt Smith. It’s a tossup between the two.

Though John Hurt also did a good job within the role.

Matt Smith; He was just so much fun. :smile:

3 Likes

Well I used to be a total 10 fanatic but I found I missed Matt smith more than David. So it is a tie between Matt and John hurt cause man he was great!

Honestly, Christopher eccleston is my all time favourite. I think Cappaldi steals the second place spot, with David and Baker following. I realy didn’t like Matt smith, he was good in his first series but he got too childish, he didn’t seems like a 1000 year old genius. Though that’s not his fault, he didn’t write the scripts. Christophers series set the tone best, it was also genuinely frightening and it seemed like the characters were actualy under threat. While this trend continued with David it stopped with Matt. Alot was done that realy shouldn’t have been done. For instance, bringing back most old villians. The Daleks, for example, haven’t been very threatening. In Eccleston’s series and Davids final series the Daleks were truly formidable foes, powerful, evil. With Eccleston they were insane, worshipping their emperor as a god, they were made of humans and they killed alot of people, including main characters, ultimately they felt like an unstoppable force, that required either wiping out the human race to defeat or time itself. Then in the stolen earth episodes we had these formal daleks, powerful and apart of an empire, with enough power to destroy everything. Then we had daleks who
A. Who planted a bomb on earth and attempted to create a new race of Daleks, they were actleast worthy of being daleks
B. New supreme Daleks who let the old Daleks plan run, turned on London’s lights and ran away
C. Attempted to save the universe by locking the Doctor away
D. Asked the Doctor to open some shields so they could kill their own kind
E. Daleks who got owned by the doctor as he was dying
F. Fought some soldiers
G. Invited the doctor to meet Davros, get regenerated and be destroyed
Although the adventure games did them justice

Honestly, that’s not to say they didn’t have potential, but I feel they should’ve gone with the twisted, last of their kind route and build up to some point where there’s a new Dalek empire, and have them act rather than do nothing. Also they shouldn’t have shown how the angels move, kills the effect.

However, there have been some great enemies, especially in Capaldi’s series. The return of Zygons, Ice warriors and Silurians have been great, and having the master create an army of Cybermen is fantastic. Again though, some shouldn’t have returned or shouldn’t have returned like they did. Also if you haven’t watched Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways you should, realy shows the tension I’m talking about.

3 Likes

… Best scary enemy?

2 Likes

My personal favorite is Pertwee, but Capaldi, Eccleston, and Baker aren’t far behind.

Finally got around to giving my thoughts on The Magician’s Familiar.

Not a fan of the £49.99 price tag or the idea that the Tardis doors cannot open, other than that, it looks like an ‘Ok’ set… not great, but acceptable i guess

Personally thought the best enemy we’ve gotten in the revived series is probably the ‘empty child’ or to be more precise… the transformation when someone becomes an empty child. Its terrifying and also has an emotional weight to it due to the storyline.

Plus you can hear bones cracking and snapping… which was pretty brutal considering it was in the first revived series.

5 Likes

That one was pretty scary…

Interested to hear people’s thoughts on ‘The Girl Who Died’ and more specifically The Hybrid

1 Like

One thing that’s confusing me a bit. Why was there a problem is saving the girl at the end? I thought it was only against the rules to go back in time changing things, not just simply intervening. I mean the Doctor has had no problem saving the Human race time and time again. What’s different about this?

1 Like

Was this the first time (in The Girl Who Died) where we see why one of the Doctor’s regenerations chose his face?

1 Like

Yeah, this was something that confused me also. I suppose because it was an episode set in the past? but he’s saved people in the past before without any real consequences so it feels over-hyped

I think in ‘The Day Of The Doctor’ there was the implication that the mysterious ‘librarian’ was an incarnation of the Doctor and had chosen one of his favourite faces from the past. Not sure about the classic series.

2 Likes

It was a problem because he knew the only way he could save her would be to make her immortal.

2 Likes

Actually,
Maxil (Some random character)

Then The sixth Doctor

I am not sure if he specifically chose the face but I guess he saw it so! There it is! Colin Baker did it first get rest Peter C!

1 Like

We never had confirmation; that was just a coincidence.

1 Like

Unless it is addressed directly, then most the time we are expected to ignore when characters show up again in Doctor Who.

Just a few from the top of my head;

• Freema Agyeman played Martha and her cousin Adeola both in Doctor Who
  • Eve Myles played Gwen in Torchwood and Gwyneth in Doctor Who
  • Karen Gillan played a soothsayer in ‘Fires Of Pompeii’ and later Amy
    Pond in Doctor Who
  • Naoko Mori played Doctor Sato in Doctor Who which was later written
    to be the same character as her role in Torchwood of Toshiko Sato, despite both characters acting differently
  • Peter Capaldi played John Frobisher in Torchwood, Caecilius and the
    12th doctor (14th incarnation) in Doctor Who
3 Likes

Wait, did you just say “14th incarnation”? Did I miss something?

2 Likes

The war Doctor and also the meta crisis Doctor make him the 14th

1 Like

Face The Raven was an amazing episode, maybe even the best episode of the season.

I didn’t like how long and drawn out the death was though.

Oh, and angry Doctor was pretty great too.

3 Likes