Nintendo Switch

Just beat OoT 3d. Wow. What a game. I started Master Quest. I… am not going to complete that in a while.

3 Likes

My kid sister started her first play through on the N64 version a couple of days ago (first real game she’s truly played, ever). She’s already working on the Fire Temple.

Then again, she does have me to give her tips during hard and gruelling moments, since I have beating this game down to a science. Enemies, bosses, puzzles, I have a quick and efficient pattern for each and everything in the game. I know the exact layout of every dungeon, so I can even guide her to skip time wasting sections that reward useless things like maps and conpasses. I’ve even used the same patterns and tactics to quickly beat larger Zelda games in a day or two without any confusion or frustration, like TP and SS.

Mind you, I let her do a lot of the exploring and thinking for herself, but I think my constant directions and quick, stern, methodically calculative directions during fights and puzzles at the beginning have actually improved her enjoyment of video games in general. She used to be terrible at anything she tried before, but in just two days time with my guidance she can successfully take on the game by herself and do it efficiently at that. I was able to give her the knowledge that when lacked, resulted in frustration and disdain for playing a “serious” game.

Find out how I did it with this one weird trick! Game devs hate me.

How is renting piracy? I pay a small amount to see if the game is good enough to spend my money on, and if it is I go out and buy it. If not, I only wasted a very small amount, and life goes on. Piracy is where you take it without paying anything and never return it, not run a business that makes about what game retailers do.

With all due respect, if I really want to show respect to the Zelda team, I won’t go blindly rushing in to buy whatever they make. Instead I’m going to see if the game is good enough for my money - I don’t buy everything that tickles my interest and end up with hundreds of games I don’t want. That’s kind of why this service was created, you know?

Now I don’t want to continue with this discussion, as I see a desperate vein of political discussion laced in behind it, but the day that a rental company with one copy per location makes more money that Nintendo’s number-one launch title, is the day Nintendo shuts its doors for good.

You are:

1. Consuming content from a product, thus you are using it. Whether you play a little or a lot is irrelevant. It’s still content, and that content is meant to sold. That is the product.

2. Giving money to people who take advantage of media and technically steal profits that should be going to Nintendo.

3. Supporting the act of allowing content to be rented and used, which is abused by people who don’t want to buy games far more than it’s used to demo a game. Regardless of your intentions, you’re only supporting those types of people.

My whole point here is that, like emulators and used games, renting steals potential money Nintendo earned fair and square. If we go around saying it’s okay for us to do this to companies, then they’ll think it’s okay to do the same to us. People should always earn ALL of the spoils their work produces. If you’re not sure about a game, read reviews and watch gameplay. They’re there to give you a full “demo” of what you can find in the game.

I don’t get to “test drive” a new vaccum cleaner or dish washer. I have to do research and make tactical choices. If it’s not up to specifications, then it can simply be returned.

2 Likes

So, piracy but you’re losing money?
There’s a reason game devs say they’d rather you pirate their game than buy it used.
Renting is essentially paying someone to temporarily pirate a game.

1 Like

So it’s bad if I buy used games? Because I often do that, but even if you said it’s bad, I honestly don’t think I would care. I do like to buy new games, but I also like the discount of a new game and as a consumer I rather like that.

Is there anything wrong with that?

1 Like

There’s nuance to be had here, if you want a physical copy and the game is no longer on the market, you don’t really have a choice, however, if you are willing to buy digital you should to support the devs.
I’m not saying it’s a perfect solution, console eshops need reformation, allowing refunds would be a huge step forward, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.
Basically every eshop needs to be steam, and I say this as someone who doesn’t play pc.

2 Likes

Oh don’t worry, I’ve been doing this lately. Plus I can’t play my AA any other way nowadays.

That’s mostly what I mean.

So, I got a Switch, for my Birthday.

There is nothing more satisfying then reattaching the Joycons. To the point where I will detach and reattach them, whilst playing, just for fun.

8 Likes

agreed

AND THE SOUND EFFECT IT MAKES

SO GOOD

8 Likes

I wonder what the Pavlovian repercussions of this will be.

*snaps fingers

2 Likes

tfw the snap of the switch is more satisfying than the gamecube startup jingle

4 Likes

You wash your mouth! What a vulgar thing to say!

2 Likes

With the lack of an internet browser, Nintendo charging for multiplayer now, and the potential to warp; My motivation to get a Switch is pretty low. I’ll pick one up if Splatoon 2 has a robust single player mode though.

If you couldn’t tell, I think paying for multiplayer is ridiculous and I refuse to pay for something that has been and still is free.

I want Breath of the Wild, but I am not getting it for the Switch…I already have a fully functioning Wii U…

You know, I’m 99% sure that, like Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo will still let you play games for free online, and the paid service will be for additional features.

1 Like

What do you mean? On PS4, you need a ps+ subscription to access online multiplayer, and I think it’s the same with Xbox

1 Like

Yeah with Xbox One you need Xbox Gold.

I’m actually under that philosophy as well. However, the rest of my family doesn’t care and does it for our Xbox anyways. Thankfully Nintendo’s is cheaper than others.

2 Likes

Xbox had silver membership, where you could still play multiplayer, I’m not familiar with xbone to tell you for sure if they kept that, but I think they did.
That’s really scummy of Sony to do, especially given how awful their online has been.
Given Nintendo’s stance on gaming though I’d expect they’d go the more user friendly route.
As well, I’m not sure it was confirmed so I won’t call it as such, but it looks like their subscription is going to be significantly cheaper than the others.

The whole paying for using their servers thing was inevitable. It was a viable one way street until now, but as video games started becoming a more socially acceptable media comparable to the movie industry, companies have been in need to expand server sizes exponentially, especially with how popular online gaming has become. Long gone are the days when co-op meant playing with your siblings or friend next to you (I miss the focus on local co-op).

Even then, as sucky as paying for server use is, Nintendo still charges a very cheap fee compared to its competitors.

Except for Nintendo consoles, where they’ve gone as far as to let you play Co-op on half a controller, or have you ziptie two controllers together.
Gotta love that dedication.

Though the games industry has shifted harshly from local multi, so I agree with your points.

1 Like