Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon thoughts and speculation

This morning, Nintendo announced Pokemon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon, along with some Pokken Tournament stuff and Pokemon Gold and Silver on the Virtual Console.
Here’s the video from their lifestream:

I just wanted to get the community’s thoughts, because I know people wanted Diamond and Pearl remakes or wanted the fabled “Pokemon Stars” for the Switch. People are saying it may be ported to the Switch, still, but it’s not confirmed yet. Well, what does everybody think of the situation? More importantly, though, what does everybody think will be coming in these new games??

I actually don’t know if a topic has been created for this yet, or if this counts as a duplicate for the Pokemon topic, so close it if need be.

EDIT: The full games seem to have leaked, so if anyone does have a copy of the game, spoilers will not be tolerated. Just an FYI.

Personally, I’m more excited for this game than I thought I would be initially, so good job to Game Freak with that.

Thanks.

5 Likes

Oh boy, more frame drops.

The overdose of pre-speculation is BW all over again and I question myself if I would buy it just for the story.

1 Like

This seems kind of cool, I like the new designs.

Alright, I’d advise you not to get too excited or disappointed, because we do not know what USUM is, other than its a new game.

That said I’m hyped as heck.

Now that the full artwork for the new Solagleo and Lunala forms have been released, the solgaleo and lunala parts of the Pokemon seem more like illusions or projections of the Pokemon rather than the actual thing. Like a prism refracting and reflecting light. Maybe this is Necrozma using some sort of power to imitate the legendary Pokemon’s form. .

1 Like

Found these games a bit lack luster it is black 2 and white 2 all over again and had hoped for a main title pokemon game for switch thou

Many people may have over looked the new animation for z-moves, and that you can have a different z-ring.

Dang it Necrozma! You got your Necrozma in my Nebby! Now get back in the gosh darn bag Nebby…

Is this the new trend for Pokemon games? Am I the only one getting Black 2 and White 2 flash backs? Not saying those games were bad, I am just saying.

Either way, I know what I am putting on my Christmas list. And there better be more Ultra beasts…

2 Likes

Personally, I’m hyped. Pokemon Black 2 is one of my favorite games of ALL time, and my second Pokemon game ever.

I freaking loved everything about it, and it’s one of the most nostalgic things for me ever. Assuming Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon follow a similar twin-version sequel format, then I’m excited.

I really appreciated how in BW2, you could see the affect you had on the region, from major characters to even really small-time, nameless NPCs (like the Castelia Cone person). I’d really like to see that in Ultra Sun/Moon, assuming they go the sequel route.

And if it IS a sequel, then I’d be hyped to see how the Alola region has changed. It’d be pretty cool if the Pokemon League system took place (as implied by the spaces reserved for future gyms), with traditional Gyms taking place instead of Trials and the Captains becoming Gym Leaders. And speaking of Gym Leaders, it’d be pretty cool if Guzma became the Bug-Type Leader for Po Town, with Hau becoming the Psychic Type Gym Leader (due to his Alolan Raichu), kind of like Cheren from BW2.

Additionally, it’d be cool if we got more lore for Marshadow, and had the generally-background characters Kahili, Ryuki, and Tristan. Obviously, more Ultra Beasts would be great and maybe we could catch up on Lillie, Gladion, Lusamine, and Mohn and see what happened to them.

It’d be cool if they did a similar thing like with Red where the Champion in Ultra Sun/Moon is the player character from before, but this time masked and disguised (so as to not set a definitive appearance), and kept fairly mysterious; with Nebby naturally being their leading Pokemon.

On another note, I’ve looked at the Ultra Legendaries and they remind me a lot of this theory I saw online about how Necrozma could split up into multiple pieces and act as a sort of armor and/or enhancement for Solgaleo/Lunala, and it seems they were pretty close.

All in all, this is a must-buy for me (unless it’s NOT a sequel… then I might hesitate, but maybe not).

1 Like

Huh. I’m not really sure what to think. Necrozma-related theories seem promising, and another relationship to Black and White 2, where the third legendary of the mascot trio merged with one of the other two. While we don’t have a lot to go off of, I agree with @Sepublic22 that I would love a sequel. Not only did I enjoy Black 2, but Alola is just a region that I need to go back to! Must. See. LILLIE! Of course, that’s just speculation. I’ll be watching for further news.

I’m hoping Pokemon Gold and Silver are not New 3DS exclusive on the VC like A Link To The Past is.

1 Like

They reuploaded the video with Junichi Masuda, the creator of Pokémon, and he said it was an alternate timeline

I am conflicted. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Sun and Moon and was excited for the possibility of gen 4 remakes. I never liked the asthetique of Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. The combination of 2D and 3D never did it for me. So having a new gen4 game on the 3ds made me hyped. Because I do have nostalgia for gen 4.

However Black2/White2 are some of my favourite pokemon games of all time (after leafgreen for nostalgia reasons). If they improve Sun and Moon they could become a really, really good pokemon game (Ability to choose difficulty and even easier IV and EV training/breeding). Maybe even a less scripted story that is not holding my hand all the time. I can smell the potential.

post scriptum
I noticed one thing that made me really hyped for ultra sun and moon, that thing is seeing a future alola region. Because the league was just created in Alola during sun and moon, we might see how this has effected the island. That gyms might appear to fit in with other regions who have leagues. The overarcing story/theme of gen7 could be how a regions traditions (trials) mix/change with the introduction of a pokemon league. That would be very neat to see.

I honestly don’t understand why people are salty about no Diamond and Pearl remakes, or that the game wasn’t on the Switch because

• Every remake of a Pokémon game is 5 years apart from each other

• It makes no sense to have a main series Pokémon game on a console that came out four months ago, especially when the games are mid-generation. A great example would be Pokémon Black 2 and White 2. People were mad that the game wasn’t on the newly released Nintendo 3DS, however it didn’t make sense, because just like the Switch, a lot of people didn’t have one yet

How do you sell consoles?
Games.

They’re not porting s/m because it’s mad to expect them to effectively remake the game this soon, especially when the 3ds is still profitable.

1 Like

I said this on another topic, but I’d like to bring it up here too.

The player protagonists from SuMo are the same in Ultra SuMo. Unless the games look for previous save data from SuMo in order to start you off from where you were in the new story of Ultra SuMo or you, the champion, have all of your Pokemon stolen/you get mind erased it’s almost impossible for this to be a sequel like BW2.

This means that it’s just SuMo with an alternate story, just like Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum.

THIS is why I’m disappointed. If this were a sequel like BW2, I’d be on board. I was so happy when they stopped the rehashing with gen V and VI. This just has me salty.

2 Likes

If this is the case, I’m definitely not getting these games since I’d be content with Sun and Moon.

2 Likes

I will say that with the heavy multiverse push we’ve seen from ORAS and SuMo, it IS possible that you are the same champion of the Alola region from SuMo, but you’ve fallen through an Ultra Worm hole, putting you in an alternate reality version of the future. Lore states that fallers lose their memories, so this could make Ultra SuMo an alternate reality but also a sequel.

Unlikely, but with how Game Freak has been pushing the multiverse lately, possible.

1 Like

No one? ok

I’m one of the minority that dislike Dusk form design since the colors and upper fur is not enough to be distinct toward Midday.

Few speculate there will be an additional form based around Midnight, I kinda hope thats true to excuse the Dusk form design…

4 Likes

I’m in the majority that dislike it because it’s an event exclusive, rather than being a new actual in-game evolution for the Rockruff species.

1 Like