Sonic the hedgehog (film) - 2019

If you’re referring to Spidey and his Super Friends, that was in the 70s.

Only later into production, originally this was going to be coming right off the bayverse, before they went ahead and soft-rebooted the whole thing. That also doesn’t change the fact that it was designed to be a Bumblebee-centric spinoff, he’s easily the most marketable character in the entire franchise so it was gonna happen sooner or later I suppose. But again, this is already after tons of other Transformers movies, which is an established brand in film now.

Just because it only has his name on the title, doesn’t mean it only has to include him as a character for crying out loud. This isn’t the MCU, we can just have our core cast from day one without any of the bullcrap.

Maybe it’s just me, but at this point I feel like Tails and Knuckles are just as much a part of the brand as Sonic is: they’re a recognisable, colour-coded trio with distinct personalities. You literally already have a hero cast served up to you on a plate. Use it. At least Sonic and Tails, for crying out loud, they’re one of the most iconic duos in gaming.

80s actually

Well if going by the more less canon of Sonic, it kinda does make sense for Sonic to be alone.
Most characters like Knuckles and Tails usually arrive after Sonic and Eggman are established. Knuckles wasn’t introduced until Sonic&Knuckles, the third game, and Knuckles originally started out as Sonic’s enemy before realizing he was tricked by Eggman.

I still refuse to call that dude Iceman: he’s literally Fred Jones with ice powers! He’s even voiced by the same guy! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I fully understand that, but for a franchise-starter about Sonic I think it would be better if they keep the cast low and spin it around Sonic, instead of throwing everybody in.
I mean just imagine the young kids seeing a movie about Sonic and learning about him, vs seeing a movie about Sony, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and all of the other furries and try to keep count of all of them.

Same point.

Oh, so now we’re following the canon of Sonic. Yeah, okay. There’s also a difference between the two, you can skip steps. If we really went ahead with this we’d basically have the same movie happen twice, except the second one would be better because there’d be more of like… an actual plot going on.

I never said a thing about Shadow, he’s a whole other can of worms. All I was saying was Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and maybe Amy. Are you seriously telling me three brightly coloured characters each modeled after the primary colours would be too confusing for kids to understand? For Christ’s sake.

Depends on if it went with the game canon and which game canon. Or heck we could go with the Sonic X canon.

Oh hell no :stuck_out_tongue:

This is exactly what I’m trying to avoid here :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean Sonic is getting thrown to our world like that, except without friends

though I somehow doubt we’ll get something akin to Adventure 2 or else down the line

That’s what my joke was aiming at - I hate Sonic X for that exact same reason, but even that show still captured more about the character than this ever will :stuck_out_tongue:

I shudder to imagine what they’d do to Adventure 2’s story :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe we’re getting ahead

but I’m not sure Live Action Shadow could even work

or a bunch of the other concepts in most Sonic games and media

Which is probably why they should’ve just made it animated in the first place. Like, it suits the art design better, it suits the tone, the storytelling, you can have the camera go as fast as you want - they had the animation team who made this on their staff: https://youtu.be/oGVBPZiHTlE

They made this over a decade ago, and it still looks phenomenal. This movie is an utter waste of their talents.

I hope this movie is good and makes money just so that even more care can be given to my Mario movie

3 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

From the first trailer, I was looking forward to a hilariously bad movie. Now it looks like it will be either fine or dumb. I admit the new Sonic looks better (though I was never bothered by the old one), but the new trailer made me disappointed because of the aforementioned expectations.

1 Like

Illumination

Yeah, good luck with that one :stuck_out_tongue:

Look, it’s not like I want these movies to fail. I just look at the teams behind them and think… “how do they even possibly stand a chance of making any of this work?”. If I turn out to be wrong, I’m pleasantly surprised. If I’m right… well… I’m not disappointed.

if i’m gonna be honest, this trailer actually made me interested in seeing this movie.

3 Likes

Jim Carrey will have back pains from carrying this movie

1 Like

So baby Sonic is now a thing… and yes I did not find an English version yet.

Baby Sonic is now pretty much my favorite thing this movie has done.

Meanwhile, I stand as the only person in the universe who could have really done without Baby Sonic.

Also, the most interesting thing about this trailer isn’t Baby Sonic, it’s those other South Island hedgehogs with bows in the tree behind Sonic that no one seems to be talking about.

1 Like