TTV's Official Brickonicle Toa Designs [CANON][Worldbuilding][Characters]

At that point there’s no reason to consider this a “what-if” for a Bionicle System line, if standard Lego limits present in most action themes are not kept into consideration.

All Lego lines have limits, and to ignore them is disregarding what actually makes them a toyline. From what I’ve gathered the point of the Brickonicle project is to see how Bionicle could work as a Lego system line, and the limits are extremely important for that.

8 Likes

The entire purpose of these concepts is to replicate the design process of making a LEGO theme with the same limitations. Of course there needs to be an endpoint.

Edit: Kapura’d

7 Likes

Valid points.

1 Like

I must re-iterate our statement from the podcast.

These are the final designs of our Toa.

Not the prints we’ll actually be using or how they will appear on a physical minfigure.

Exxtrooper is working on adapting these designs to a physical format that will adhere to LEGO’s standards.

(Essentially, this is how they would appear in a LEGO Bionicle TV Show for instance but not the actual sets)

21 Likes

Oh, then it all makes more sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

I have not listened to this episode as of yet, so I appreciate the clarification.

I do, however, think that there should be slightly more consistency between the in-canon designs and what can actually be bought. This isn’t like a model where you can paint in the missing details that are molded on, so I think it’d be rather odd for a minifigure to not share the details seen in the canon form of that minifigure (which is still using the minifigure body, physical or not).

7 Likes

No worries, it’s not something that was made very clear.

Totally understand your point, and that’s why we’re still keeping these open to modification too. The use of the word “final” in the description is a bit misleading I feel. They’re finalized from a conceptual level, but not in terms of actual production. I mentioned on the podcast that I fear a lot of our masks will need to be revisited because they likely won’t pass the breaking test when actually molded, for instance.

This will certainly go through some more alterations going forward to match up with our printable copies a bit more for sure.

10 Likes

Yeah, like I said, love the designs, just not the idea of either really expensive or really inaccurate minifigures. As for the masks, I think that the designs themselves work, but could be a bit larger, baring in mind the fact that the Chima head pieces, which have the same idea of a mostly encompassing part with exposed bits, were primarily filled. This would definitely help in terms of fragility.

6 Likes

I didn´t listen to the podcast either: they´re pretty long and I honestly just look at the summary in the description to get the gist, since I´m pretty busy (school), but thanks for clarifying, Var.

1 Like

Honestly, these are all amazing. I have very few complaints, really.

Pohatu, Gali, and Kopaka are my favorites, although I think Kopaka could use a better expression. He kinda just looks like he’s spaced out, not really like he’s a cold, harsh guy.

Lewa’s mask is amazing, really hits home the grin that the 01 mask was going for. Although, as others have said, I think a shorter cape would be better.

Also, how exactly were these made? Was it just painstaking Photoshop work? I’d love to know.

1 Like

just looks like adding onto a template they either found or made

2 Likes

Weapon ideas for the Toa:

Tahu could have a Broadsword with a design similar to his 2001 Sword.

Gali can have her hooks, but instead of looking like her 2001 hooks, I feel they should look like the Maori style of fish hook. (Think like the giant hook Maui has in Moana, if any of you have seen that.)

Lewa… I got nothin :confused: (you guys can brainstorm on hers)

Kopaka’s weapon will probably be a longsword, along with a shield because it’s Kopaka. It makes sense to me that if Tahu and Kopaka are opposites, they’re weapons and how they fight reflect that. A Broadsword weighed around 5 pounds, and had a Wider blade than the longsword. It sacrificed reach for damage, similar to Tahu. He didn’t care about things like reach, he saw dealing the most amount of damage as what mattered. On the other hand, Longswords weighed twice as much as a Broadsword, which meant they had to be held with both hands. They also had tremendously long reach. Similar to Kopaka, the user had to plan out every single move they were going to make, because the added weight would make it a lot harder to attack again quickly if you missed.

Can’t think of anything for Onua either… same with Pohatu…

Well, for the ones I did give ideas on, tell me what you think?

2 Likes

Some of these do sound pretty cool!
I’d say most people would agree with the Maori hook, (considering Oomatu’s been using it in every one of his drawing posts). As long as the weapons actually look threatening (unlike the one from the Lego Moana Princess set) I could say that it would work well!
I especially like how you contrasted the two types of swords for Tahu and Kopaka depending on their personality. I’d say it fits well!

In fact, they remind me of my own Ideas for toa weapons!

They would be more for Year two toa (due to their size), and since TTV will add armor in future years, they could be attached to the back!
I’m thinking…
Tahu- A recolored Clay Morrington Sword (it has studs on it, so he could use it as a lava board)
Kopaka- A build-able shield with Knife elements inserted in it (though it might be way to huge for a minifig :stuck_out_tongue:)
Onua- A build-able hammer (tried to incorporate both round and square designs)
Lewa- She gets a build-able axe (using bth the old Castle axe blade and Axel’s Axe blade)
Pohatu- He gets a build-able mace (and yes the mace piece itself is a real piece - it’s found on the scary knight from the Minifig series)
Gali- I 'd give her a scythe on a throwback to her original hooks (the schthe is a “giant Hook”:stuck_out_tongue:), though I’d be fine with the Maori hook version.

I’d say the point of these huge, weapons would be for the toa to master control over other fighting styles and the fact that, “Sometimes, you can’t choose the weapon. Sometimes, it chooses you” - Me.

It’s funny how they’re all build-able except for Tahu, the leader.:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thank you. Your ideas and drawings are pretty cool as well!

1 Like

So…if he’s using both hands for his sword, how is he going to hold the shield?

2 Likes

The shield could be, from a realistic perspective, attached to Kopaka’s arm.

Not to sure on how that would work for minifigure, though.:confused:

1 Like

It has straps on it to keep it on his wrist, similar to Captain America’s shield.

1 Like

Okay, let’s see that on-

Exactly. =P

9 Likes

That sounds pretty impractical if you ask me. The trade-off to using a longsword is that you can’t use a shield.

2 Likes

I mean, minifig wise, there’s no way he could hold the sword with both hands, which would leave an open hand for the shield. However, as Var stated, you can’t use a shield if you have a longsword. Which kinda sucks, because I’ve always seen Kopaka having a sword and shield, it’s like his signature weapon set for Spirits sake.

1 Like